VMware Cloud Community
unhappyvra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRA 7.2 Deployment description change

Hi!

Does anybody know how to change/edit "Deployment" description after provisioning? End-user can easy change/add VMs description after deployment (using "Reconfigure" task), but I don't see any options to edit Deployment description... I haven't been lucky with vRO/REST API, looks like no methods/functions exists to update already deployed object VCACCAFE:CatalogResource (I'll be happy to be wrong on it). Could not believe that so obvious function is missing in vRA.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scottRosenberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is now possible via the gui in 7.5

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
batuhandemirdal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Do you want to distribute current catalog mu sun? Or create it?

0 Kudos
unhappyvra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I need to change description for the current Deployment.

0 Kudos
bdamian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I've tried to create a XaaS Resource Action for this. The "Deployment" is translated as a VCACCAFE:CatalogResource object in vRO. Although this object has an operation called "setDescription", this doesn't impact on vRA.

Cannot figure out (yet) how can I force the vRO object to impact on vRA.

Any ideas?

---
Damián Bacalov
vExpert 2017-2023 (7 years)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/damianbacalov/
https://tecnologiaimasd.blogspot.com/
twitter @bdamian
0 Kudos
unhappyvra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, it is because you are passing into vRO variable "My_Deployment" = VCACCAFE:CatalogResource... So, you can play with this object what ever you want (like My_Deployment.setDescription(Bla-bla-bla) )...

But you (and me too) actually need a method/class/RESTAPI to update our original object, kind a transfer of properties from My_Deployment to already existing VCACCAFE:CatalogResource. Similar to "updateVCACEntity" method for vCAC objects.

0 Kudos
DanieleUlrich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This can easily be done by updating the database :smileydevil:

update cat_resource

set description = 'Portforwarder for Azure VMs', name = 'Azure Portforwarder'

where name = 'CentOS-36800201'

Of course you have to adapt the old name to find it and set the new name and description you'd like to have.

Now don't ask me how to get access to the database!

0 Kudos
unhappyvra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, I appreciate postgres DB knowledge sharing Smiley Happy  But I can't give to my end-users access to vRA DB. And I don't event want to try scripting ssh+postgress object's update, it is a very-very bad workaround for a trivial problem... Can not believe that I'm the only one customer who want a changeable description for deployments.

0 Kudos
DanieleUlrich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Looks like a feature request. Where can i add my vote?

0 Kudos
nmshadey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you say for the deployment, do you mean the 'Description' field for the machine?

0 Kudos
unhappyvra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I want this field to be editable after provisioning. Sometimes end-user forgets to specify it (and vRA does't have a way to mark this field "Required"). And later they wrongly assumes that may change it after deployment.

pastedImage_0.png

Come on, VMware! Is it a crazy idea to modify "Description" after deployment? Only heartless monsters would like to do it, right Smiley Happy ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree, having this editable after the fact would be nice. But a possible workaround might be to make it mandatory. In the past, this was possible (although not supported) by editing the form directly. The response here shows how to do so, but I've not tested it on the latest release.

0 Kudos
nmshadey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I checked and realised this after I had asked. You are right, I can't find any easily identifiable way to do this. There doesn't seem to be a scripting class for the deployments like other objects.

I believe this description is inserted into the request which then appears under the vCACCAFECatalogItemRequest object. Although it has a method to set the description, I believe this can only be used to make the request itself (just like filling out the description when using the gui). I feel your pain and interested to see if someone has a solution to this. Yet another pain point to add to my large list Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Ukusic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Still the same in vRA 7.3 or am i missing something?
I also did a Feature request about it, and to be able to make it mandatory if needed.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
ffabiosantosg20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still the same in vRA 7.4 or am i missing something?
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To my knowledge no change.

0 Kudos
Merijndk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still not possible to change in vRA 7.4. Make it more fun when you using the new vRA 7.4 custom form's the option for set a description to the deployment object is not even available. Vmware is joking with us.
0 Kudos
DDinu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do we have a way to retrive what the description is being set to for the deployed machines?
0 Kudos
scottRosenberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is now possible via the gui in 7.5
0 Kudos
CalicoJack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So, running 7.6, wonder how to update Deployment description for multiple objects. I know today you can change it in GUI, but i need a way to update 500+ deployments...

So far, i found that way:

PUT request to /catalog-service/api/consumer/deployments/{id}  with JSON body {"name":"Current name","description":"NEW_Description"}

Surprisingly, there is no description for PUT method for catalog-service/api/consumer/resources/{id} ... Anybody please? Don't want to break anything, hack i found works great, but... ?