VMware Cloud Community
bencouture
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 6.2 Property Dictionary - Multiple relationships?

Does anybody know of a way that I can base the values in a drop down on TWO or more parent fields? All the examples I see are "Set possible networks based on environment", which is a 1-1 relationship. I need a 2+ to 1 relationship.

What I need is "Set possible networks based on environment AND application tier"

For example:

Prod

Database tier

Option A

Option B

Application tier

Option C

Option D

Nonprod

Database tier

Option E

Application tier

Option F

I've tried comma-delimiting the Relationship field, like you would with ValueList, but that didn't work. I tried adding additional "FilterName"/"FilterValue" pairs in the "PropertyValue" XML tags, but that didn't work either. Any suggestions?

I'm very familiar with vCenter Orchestrator, so I don't mind if the solution requires the extensibility plugin or something of that sort.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

If I am understanding you correctly this is how I think I would do it using the property dictionary

Parent

Prod, Dev

child

network-a-prod-database

network-b-prod-database

network-c-prod-application

network-d-prod-application

network-e-dev-database

network-f-dev-application

or something along those lines where you have an extended XML file

I have also done something where two children point to the same parent

Does that help?

Steve

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
thedoctor46
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sbeaver

I have the same problem. I need a relationship to two parents:

1. Customer: customer A, customer B, customer C

2. vCenter Cluster(security zones): DMZ, Transnet, Intern

3. CloneSpec: Domain V, Domain W, Domain X, Domain Y, Domain Z

Domain V is for DMZ and only for customer A + B

Domain W and X is for Transnet and only for customer B + C

Domain Y is for Intern and only for customer A

Domain Z is for Intern and only for customer B

How can i realize that? Now if i choose "customer A" and vCenter "Intern" i see also Domain Y + Z as CloneSpec and not only Domain Y

Nico

0 Kudos
bencouture
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Steve for the ideas. The problem is that I need to point one child to two or more parents, not two children to one parent.

0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

The problem is that I need to point one child to two or more parents, not two children to one parent.

OK same rules apply create the two different parents and create the relationship which each pointing to the same child.  You will need to be creative creating the XML but you should be able to pull that off

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is there a reason you couldn't use separate blueprints for prod vs non, and then different custom properties for one vs the other? I know it may seem more complex, but honestly, the more fields you introduce into the equation, and this is my opinion, the more likely it is to be problematic. Frankly speaking, it's a lot easier to maintain an additional blueprint (or set of blueprints, which can leverage a build profile, so you don't have to update each one manually). In our environment, we built the catalog along our environmental boundary lines, with a set of blueprints being associated with a specific environment / service... Then I'm able to entitle people to provision into different enclaves based on their entitlements.

Just a thought.

-Steve
0 Kudos
thedoctor46
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sbeaver

Sorry but i can't create a second Relationship Attribute because the gui shows "The selected property attribute type has already been added".

You wrote "create the relationship which each pointing to the same child".... but in the xml file I point with the "FilterName" to the parent and not to the child.

Customer(1. Parent) <- SecurityZone(Child from Customer) and CloneSpec should have 2 parents (Child from Customer and SecurityZone).

I have to create the Relationship Attribute on SecurityZone which point to Customer and a second Relationship Attribute on CloneSpec which point to Security Zone. What I need is a third Relationship Attribute on CloneSpec which point to Customer but the gui forbids it.

0 Kudos