VMware Cloud Community
hughesr9
Contributor
Contributor

vRA 6.2.2 IaaS SQL Database error on installation

Hi,

I am installing a vRA 6.2.2 POC setup:

I have vRealize Identity Appliance 2.2.2 and vRealize Automation Appliance 6.2.2 installed ok.

I have built a Windows Server 2012 R2 server with MS SQL Server 2012 Express.

I have used Brian Graf's Pre-Req Powershell script and all the Pre-Reqs in the installer have passed.

The next step when it goes to create the database fails. The MS SQL database server is running on the same VM as the IaaS Component server, is this allowed?

"Cannot connect to Microsoft SQL Server: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.)

Regards

Rob

3 Replies
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It is possible to deploy in this way. Is the SQL Server browser service running on your IAAS server? This is a requirement for using SQL Express. If it is and you are still having issues, check that TCP/IP protocol is enabled for SQL, MSDTC is enabled, and try to login to the SQL management console with the same account you are using for vRA install. You must run the installer as that account since it will use windows authentication to communicate with the SQL server. Hope that helps. 

pizzle85
Expert
Expert

The pre-req scripts don't do any of the SQL pre-reqs, you need to do those manually.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vra-62/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vrealize-automation-62-installation-and-co...

Windows Server Requirements > IaaS Database Server Requirements

0 Kudos
HariRajan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I hope you are installing the IAAS with a domain user , give him SQL access and also select windows authentication .

This domain user should be the member of  administrative group , backup administrator group and logon as service group , rest of the activities as you said script will do .

since you have installed the SQL on the same machine where the IAAS is installed , Windows authentication should work ,

Thanks & Regards in Plenteous . Hari Rajan
0 Kudos