VMware Cloud Community
kallischlauch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter agent name inconsitency in vRA 7.0.1

Hey all,

I never used the configurationadmin (i always did it manually) before and it fails for me as it can't find endpoint resource.

this is what I setup during installation (in wizard)

vra_during_installation.png

this is what the configurationadmin configured before it failed (to me this is correct):

vra_endpoint.png

and this is what the log complains about:

vra_log.png

The attached endpoint: "r4-xxxx" can't be found. The endpoint should not be called "r4-xxx". In installer i configured as name "vCenter". "r4-xxx" is the FQDN of my vcenter

if I check on the agent machine itself:

=====

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\vCAC\Agents\vCenter>DynamicOps.Vrm.VRMencrypt.exe VRMAgent.exe.config get

managementEndpointName: r4-vc01.site2.corpit.tm

doDeletes: true

=====

it seems even the agent thinks its name is vCenter and the FQDN of the vCenter is r4-xxxx

I then deleted the endpoint and credential created by configadmin. Then requested the initial vsphere config again. This time I used the FQDN of vCenter as agent name and hostname. And that worked?!

agent_created.png

it also found the cluster and added it as a resource. All successful

successful.png

That is not supposed to happen I think (at least not based on my past experience)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

kallischlauch

Actually in 6 you had a drop down for the agent type - like vSphere and the agent name was the endpoint name ..

That was really confusing so in 7 the naming has changed to reflect the correct naming ..

The agent name now is descriptive for example .. like

Agent Name : SiteA

Endpoint : SiteA-vCenter

Agent Name : SiteB

Endpoint : SiteB-vCenter

Makes sense ? At least that is how I explain it to myself.

___ My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

kallischlauch

That is because you gave the Endpoint the name of the FQDN and it needs to match with the Endpoint you configure in vRA:

screenshot_087.png

0 Kudos
kallischlauch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Michael.Rudloff

Hey thanks,

if that setting in the wizard "Endpoint" reflects the name of the Agent, then what do we need the other setting for "Agent Name"?

From past experience this is where i put in the name and in endpoint i thought i should put the FQDN

Kalli

0 Kudos
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

kallischlauch

Actually in 6 you had a drop down for the agent type - like vSphere and the agent name was the endpoint name ..

That was really confusing so in 7 the naming has changed to reflect the correct naming ..

The agent name now is descriptive for example .. like

Agent Name : SiteA

Endpoint : SiteA-vCenter

Agent Name : SiteB

Endpoint : SiteB-vCenter

Makes sense ? At least that is how I explain it to myself.

kallischlauch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Michael.Rudloff

make sense? no. but it matches my experience as well.

Thanks a lot for clarifying. I thought i was mad

installer asks for 2 names and none of them seems to be hostname. it does not make sense either that i have to enter authentication details in installer (agent) and in vra (endpoint configuration).

But I'll just ignore that ... 🙂

I'll adapt your explanation. thx

0 Kudos