VMware Cloud Community
cyprusc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Orchestrator and vCAC 5.2 Help

I'm trying to pull the Guest Operating system from VCAC using vCO. I started with a simple System.log statement in the Scriptable Task but it continues to return null. I can walk through the inventory in vCO and I see the field I'm looking for.

Input Parameter  = vCACVm         - Type: VCAC:VirtualMachine

System.log ("vCAC VM guest OS : " + vCACVm.guestOS);

The log displays:

[2014-05-29 08:13:14.227] [I] vCAC VM guest OS : null

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

This thread was moved to the vCAC forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, 2010, 2011,2012,2013,2014

Author of the books 'VMWare ESX and ESXi in the Enterprise: Planning Deployment Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2011 Pearson Education. 'VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment', Copyright 2009 Pearson Education.

Virtualization and Cloud Security Analyst: The Virtualization Practice, LLC -- vSphere Upgrade Saga -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think you need to set the VMware.VirtualCenter.OperatingSystem custom property to one of the GuestOS values on the blueprint. This will allow you to pull that custom property out in a vCO workflow. Blueprints are not aware of the OS of the template unless you specify it.

jbweber2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How long has the machine existed before you try to access this field?

I've noted that I don't normally see data there in the repository until after a data collection has run post the machine being created.

0 Kudos
cyprusc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will give this a try. Thank you.

0 Kudos
cyprusc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is part of the final workflow before delivery to the customer (no more that 45 minutes). I'm going to try the custom property to see if this is successful.

0 Kudos
cyprusc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to define the custom property and pass it to the workflow. This got what I needed. Thank you.

0 Kudos