VMware Cloud Community
Jeremy_VE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCO External Workflow not executing

I have a component machine blueprint, configured for link clone deployment, with a custom property to run a vCO workflow during the MachineProvisioned WFStub phase (ExternalWFStubs.MachineProvisioned).  This custom property was created via the vCO workflow "Assign a State Change Workflow to a Blueprint and its Virtual Machines".  On this blueprint is also configured a vCenter Customization Specification.

Everything runs great on the vCAC side of the house.  What isn't getting executed is the vCO workflow.  How do I go about troubleshooting this?  Is the vCO workflow not being allowed to execute because there is a customization spec getting in the way?

Attached is the vCO package that contains the workflows.  Everything is built off the "Workflow Template" workflow to import the custom properties, however I don't believe vCAC is even making the call to vCO for it to even execute.  vCAC is configured with the vCO endpoint and vCO is configured with the vCAC IaaS host.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

0 Kudos
8 Replies
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I hate to make assumptions one way or another, so I'll ask (since I was helping somebody else out with this just the other day, and I discovered he didn't know this was necessary)... Did you run the vCO workflow to configure vCAC to use vCO for stubs? If the answer is no, see this: How to extend vCAC with vCO Part 1 – Installation | VMtoCloud.com.

-Steve
Jeremy_VE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know I had done that whenever I first set up the environment. Unfortunately since that day I had to rebuild the vCAC servers, now that you mention iti'm not absolutely positive that I repeated the step. I'lol run it again just in case and let you know how it goes. Thanks Steve.

Jeremy

0 Kudos
Jeremy_VE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installing the vCO customizations is now allowing the blueprint to call the worflow. 

I'm receiving the following error within the run script in VM guest workflow when it executes:

cannot read property "guestOperationsReady" from undefined

Attached are the workflows.  The "master" workflow is the "Deploy New Forest, Domain, and DC"

I have tried creating a wrapper for the VC:VirtualMachine, but the error persists.

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is the VC:VirtualMachine object getting set during the workflow? I'm going to assume you're running the 6.1 version of the plugin on an external vCO instance... If so, can you confirm you applied the workflow hotfix package that was released with vRA 6.1? If not, you need to apply that.

-Steve
0 Kudos
Jeremy_VE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The workflow that was being passed the "Array/VC:VritualMachine" variable as an input, although I had reconfigured the workflow and sub-workflows to accept that inpu, was not doing so.  I had to convert the variable from Array/VC:VirtualMachine to VC:VirtualMachine by creating a scriptable task and setting VC:VirtualMachine = Array/VC:VirtualMachine[0].  Everything works great now.

I'm not sure which version I'm running right now.  I am using the embedded vCO though.  vCO client says 5.1, but I could have sworn I was running vCAC 6.1 at least.  I'll check later and if needed do the upgrade.  Is the patch required for embedded vCO or just external?

Jeremy

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If it's properly finding your VC:VirtualMachine, then you're fine.

-Steve
0 Kudos
Jeremy_VE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you saying that I shouldn't need to convert from the "array" to the "type" VC:VirtualMachine?

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I wouldn't worry about it if it's working right. The hotfix that came up with 6.1 had to do with a change introduced starting in 6.1 with which UUID was being used for identifying a VM. I'll spare the details since you don't seem to be impacted.

-Steve
0 Kudos