VMware Cloud Community
jaffanz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCAC6 IaaS Install fails with Config wizard - unable to execute SQL command Create User

Kia Ora.

Putting together first vCAC6 poc. The Appliances are up and working fine, now up to the IaaS on Win2k8r2 with local SQL Express and this install fails. Pre-Reqs work. Installed and patched .NET 4.5 (not 4.5.1) as well.

I'm installing as a local Administrator on the IaaS domain joined server. Running install .EXE using Run As Administrator.

Installation creates the database in the local SQL Express. I've slowly elevated privileges to troubleshoot but the same lines are written to the LOG file and its a failed install.

Info : 2014-01-15 09 49 58 588 a.m. :Done Building Project "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\vCAC\Server\Database\DeployVMPS.xml" (BuildDB target(s)).

Info : 2014-01-15 09 49 58 604 a.m. :Build succeeded.

Info : 2014-01-15 09 49 58 604 a.m. :    0 Warning(s)

Info : 2014-01-15 09 49 58 604 a.m. :    0 Error(s)

Info : 2014-01-15 09 49 58 620 a.m. :Time Elapsed 00:03:35.12

Info : 2014-01-15 09 49 58 667 a.m. :CREATE USER [serverName\Administrator] FOR LOGIN [NVCACIAAS\Administrator]

Info : 2014-01-15 09 49 58 682 a.m. :EXEC sp_addrolemember 'db_owner','serverName\Administrator';

Error : 2014-01-15 09 49 58 854 a.m. :Error: vCAC Configuration Wizard is unable to execute Sql command CREATE USER [serverName\Administrator] FOR LOGIN [serverName\Administrator].

Error : 2014-01-15 09 49 58 854 a.m. :Error: vCAC Configuration Wizard is unable to execute Sql command CREATE USER [serverName\Administrator] FOR LOGIN [serverName\Administrator].

Not being a SQL guru, i have tried elevating privileges and swapped between using Microsoft and SQL login. tried connecting with a new SQL and AD security account with MSDB db_owner rights. Also as 'Microsoft Authenticated'. each re-run provides the same statements regardless if the localMachine\Administrator account exists or not.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy new 2014!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jaffanz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ya.

I added the local Machine Administrator account in SQL Express security to sysadmin role, and the installation completed. ?!? Although i had tried using the SA account to install and the same success and error messages in that runs log files as well.

Now those lines look like this;

Info : 2014-01-15 10 21 50 978 a.m. :Service account NVCACIAAS\Administrator is the same account that creates the database.  Skipped database owner role grant task.

Info : 2014-01-15 10 21 50 994 a.m. :Service account NVCACIAAS\Administrator is the same account that creates the database.  Skipped database owner role grant task.

So it is installed, but I'm not sure why i needed to elevate the local Administrator account to a Sysadmin role for it to complete or why creating the user account localMachine\Administrator errored in the install since it existed.

I rolled back to a previous snapshot and was able to repeat the failure until i added that user account to Sysadmin role.

Its onwards to configuration and using vCAC now. i'll repeat the installation at a later stage.

cheers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jaffanz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ya.

I added the local Machine Administrator account in SQL Express security to sysadmin role, and the installation completed. ?!? Although i had tried using the SA account to install and the same success and error messages in that runs log files as well.

Now those lines look like this;

Info : 2014-01-15 10 21 50 978 a.m. :Service account NVCACIAAS\Administrator is the same account that creates the database.  Skipped database owner role grant task.

Info : 2014-01-15 10 21 50 994 a.m. :Service account NVCACIAAS\Administrator is the same account that creates the database.  Skipped database owner role grant task.

So it is installed, but I'm not sure why i needed to elevate the local Administrator account to a Sysadmin role for it to complete or why creating the user account localMachine\Administrator errored in the install since it existed.

I rolled back to a previous snapshot and was able to repeat the failure until i added that user account to Sysadmin role.

Its onwards to configuration and using vCAC now. i'll repeat the installation at a later stage.

cheers

0 Kudos
Madax99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just if someone got the issue.

If you install with a domain account, you have to use domain\user account and not domain.com\user.

0 Kudos