VMware Cloud Community
CloudAutoCraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCAC Upgrade to 6.1.1 broke WFStubBuildingMachine

Greetings,

We stood up a vCAC 6.0.1 proof-of-concept environment back in August.  We're in the process of deploying vRA 6.1.1 in an upper environment, but we still have the PoC environment.  We upgraded the PoC environment to 6.1.1 -- the software upgrades went smoothly with no issues.  After the upgrades were complete, we also addressed these issues:

Slow AD Login times -- we applied the fix detailed here:  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=209080...

Our tenant was bit by the account lockout timebomb, which we fixed by following this:  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=207501...

We then went to deploy a VM from a tried and true blueprint, and all of our build attempts are failing on the WFStubBuildingMachine.  I can provide details and error codes if you think it would be helpful, but I'm hoping that somebody out there can provide some knowledge around what has changed around the execution of WFStubBuildingMachine in 6.1.1.

We have several vCO workflows and custom code packaged into WFStubBuildingMachine.  Much of the customizations in this workflow stub involve the Daily Hypervisor custom hostname plug-in (http://dailyhypervisor.com/vcloud-automation-center-vcac-5-2-custom-hostnaming-extension/), the Infoblox IPAM plug-in, and hand-offs between them.  Here's a brief description of what we have going in WFStubBuildingMachine:

1. The custom hostname plug-in constructs the hostname based on information provided by the vCAC catalog request.
  2. A series of vCO workflows are launched within WFStubBuildingMachine to receive the new custom hostname along with network-placement information from the catalog, run some custom code to determine which Infoblox network to target, then reserve an IP/DNS record for the custom hostname.
  3. The network placement information is returned back to vCAC.
  4. Finally, there is logic to create a computer account in AD if the machine is being built from a Windows blueprint.

Again, it was a PoC, analogous to a movie set that is intended to be torn down after the film has been aired.  This assembly of custom code was rock solid in 6.0.1.  I'm struggling to find information that will help us zero-in on what exactly is breaking after the upgrade to 6.1.1.  Hopefully one of you geniuses can give us some information on what changed in 6.1.1 or some ideas on where to zero-in.  Absent that, it looks like we'll be reverse-engineering everything that went into WFStubBuildingMachine, and that could be a significant effort.

This is the error that the IaaS box is throwing:

<boolean>false</boolean>

Workflow 'WFStubBuildingMachine' failed with the following exception:

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Data.Services.Client.DataServiceResponse DynamicOps.Repository.RepositoryServiceContext.SaveChanges()'.

at DynamicOps.Cdk.Activities.SetMachineProperty.Execute(CodeActivityContext context)

at System.Activities.CodeActivity.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)

at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation)

Category: Error

Priority: -1

EventId: 0

Severity: Error

Title:

Machine: LBW01HCPAP306

App Domain: DynamicOps.DEM.exe

ProcessId: 2676

Process Name: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\vCAC\Distributed Execution Manager\DEM\DynamicOps.DEM.exe

Thread Name:

Win32 ThreadId:5636

Extended Properties:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tags (3)
6 Replies
kericmiles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Although this may not solve your particular problem, you will want to check out this KB article (2088838) if you are doing any customization workflows in 6.1.

CloudAutoCraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks kericmiles for the reply!  Sadly this didn't fix our issue, but I appreciate the input!

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Out of curiosity what version of vCO are you running?  You did update the vCO plugin to the 6.1 version correct?  I saw the other link someone suggested you take a look at and that workflow package goes along with the 6.1 plugin but I figured I would ask just in case.

0 Kudos
CloudAutoCraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We upgraded vCO from 5.5.1 (build 1617225) to 5.5.2.1951762 (5.5.2.1946710).  And yes, we did update the vCAC plug-in for vCO to the 6.1 version.  Thanks for the reply...

0 Kudos
raptorirl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

During our deployment of 6.1 & vco 5.5.2 we also got the WFStubBuildingMachine failing,

I found this KB article that fixed our issue...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=209344...

Hope this helps, regards,

John,

0 Kudos
udubplate
Contributor
Contributor

It's worth checking out this issue we ran into (post link can be found below). It's a slightly different error message, but also related to WFStubBuildingMachine. Just passing it along in case it comes in handy. Engineering is still working on a permanent fix for us but the fix noted in the post has kept us running in the mean time.

Stub workflow WFStubBuildingMachine fails after upgrading to 6.1

0 Kudos