VMware Cloud Community
thawkbravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCAC 6.2 Upgrade from vCAC 5.2

Any VMware customers out there successfully migrated from vCAC 5.2 deployments to vCAC 6.1 or 6.2 ? Share any comments, pointers ? We are planning for a upgrade soon, would like to get some feedback from people who already done it.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I tried it in my lab. Tedious task i must say but it's 90% planning and 10% execution.

You will have to make sure all the pre-migration checks turn out green. The best part is that you are not on your own in figuring all of it out coz there is a wonderful migration tool that will help you with the job.

Some of the challenges i faced were with the DB versions across both 5.2 and 6.1 had to be same as the backup and restores options will cause trouble. Apart from that, all the checks are done by the tool and then a report is generated which will tell you what all has to be corrected/configured to get the migration going.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

thawkbravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Abhilash, That's sound like a tedious work. We are planning for a lab upgrade first. If everything goes fine, we will go ahead with prod migration. Hope everything goes with no issues.

0 Kudos
thawkbravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Abilash, did you run into any issues with Native AD ? We are at Pre Migration task, we have been running into the same issue with this error. Not sure if migration doesn't work with Native AD. Lot of other customers have given same type of feedback about this.

2015-01-26 20:45:13.336Z [Error] Thread-Id: 1 - System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled.

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)

at VMware.Cafe.AuthenticationClient.FindPrincipalNames(String tenantId, IList`1 principals)

at VMware.Migration.Client.UserPrincipalManager.ValidateUserPrincipals(Uri targetRepositoryUri, String tenant)

at VMware.Migration.ExtractCommands.ExtractPrincipalExtensionsCommand.Execute(CommandLineParser parser)

---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled.<---

INNER EXCEPTION: System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled.

2015-01-26 20:45:13.339Z [Error] Thread-Id: 1 - Command ExtractUPN failed. Error: 'System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled.

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)

at VMware.Cafe.AuthenticationClient.FindPrincipalNames(String tenantId, IList`1 principals)

at VMware.Migration.Client.UserPrincipalManager.ValidateUserPrincipals(Uri targetRepositoryUri, String tenant)

at VMware.Migration.ExtractCommands.ExtractPrincipalExtensionsCommand.Execute(CommandLineParser parser)

---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled.<---

EXEC : warning : Non-zero return code. Command failed.

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I had some issues with Native AD on 6.2.... Opened an SR with GSS, and engineering issued me a hotfix for a Likewise library on the Identity Appliance. If you aren't using the ID Appliance, ignore.... if not, open an SR!

-Steve
0 Kudos
thawkbravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Steve

Thanks for the input. We already have a opened with Engineering. We haven't get any input from them yet. Hopefully a custom solution from them would help us.

0 Kudos
thawkbravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Steve,

By any chance do you remember the engineer name you were working with and the hotfix # for Id Appliance ? We are running into the same issue. I am working with an VMware engineer. It might help the process to decide whether we are running into the same issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The SR you can reference is 14571076012

-Steve
0 Kudos
thawkbravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot.