VMware Cloud Community
poorem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCAC 6.0: How do I pass vCAC Custom or Global Properties to vCO Service Blueprints?

What I'm doing is creating a vCO workflow that I then use to create a vCAC Service Blueprint. That bit is easy enough.

However, I'd like to be able to pass a Global Property or a Custom Property (set at the Business Group level) to the Service Blueprint.

Can anyone confirm if this is possible?

As for why, I have a couple of values that I want to use in a number of different Service Blueprints. I only want to set them once however and don't want to have to change them in lots of places.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

Can you elaborate please? Just give me an example of custom property

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
poorem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. I can't use actual values (or I'd be shot).

Say for example that I have a tenant with a business group defined. The business group offers the ability to have custom properties created. For example:

screenshot512.png

Property Name:     MyCustomProperty

Property Value:     Banana

What I want to happen is that when users request a Service Blueprint that I've defined, the appropriate value ("Banana") is passed across somehow. I just haven't been able to work out how it might be possible.

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

I'm not very advance level at vCAC. But from my experience it doesn't look right way to do. The moment you get into Advance service design you work at the boundaries of vCAC. Have a look at this post ->Extending vCAC IaaS to fix an annoyance | BrianRagazzi. I think it might be your use case.

With Great Regards,
MarkCrossley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I cannot see how you woud get them passed, but your workflow can read/write the Business Group custom properties. I have one that does just that. I created a few actions to handle this. For instance reading a property, this action takes a vCACHost, the Provisioning Group name, and the required property name and return the property value...

var properties = {GroupID: provGroup.groupID};

var provisioningGroupEntity = vCACEntityManager.readModelEntity(host.id, "ManagementModelEntities.svc", "ProvisioningGroups", properties, null);

var provisioningGroupPropertiesEntities = provisioningGroupEntity.getLink(host, "ProvisioningGroupProperties");

for each (var provisioningGroupPropertyEntity in provisioningGroupPropertiesEntities) {

if (provisioningGroupPropertyEntity.getProperty("PropertyName") == propertyName) {

return provisioningGroupPropertyEntity.getProperty("PropertyValue");

}

}

return null;

poorem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very nice.

We ended up going a different way with what we're trying to do and hence got around some of the issues. Might have to try out the above though.

Cheers

0 Kudos
koushik_vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear,

Currently I am having some issue with creating the Property Group in vRA 7.x via some workflow in vRO 7.x.

I would like to design a workflow in vRO and from that workflow I need to create a Property Group in vRA and also need to assign that Property Group with some existing composite BluePrint in vRA. I can do this thing by manually from vRA but I am looking for some API/actions so that I can do the same thing from vRO workflow.

Basically here is my use case:

I need to request a catalog item and once the catalog item is requested and after machine got provisioned , the vRA can trigger my Custom Workflow (in vRO side).

I followed the below link, but it is not working , since I am using vRA7.0.

http://xtravirt.com/using-vmware-automation-to-address-a-virtual-machine-provisioning-challenge/blog

Can you please help me ?

Thanks,

Koushik

0 Kudos