VMware Cloud Community
VirExprt
Expert
Expert

vCAC 5.2 : give choice to requestor to select domain to join VM

Hello,

I want to give end user option to choose from list domain names at the time of placing request from Self-Service portal.

I tried to build Custom Property dictionary but somehow it is not working and VM is not getting joined to domain.

Here i wanted to tell that i am using Customization Profile from vCenter to assign IP from Network Pool of vCAC. Is it stopping me to choose domain?

Please help!!

Br,

MG

Regards, MG
0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,
So actually theres a custom property for that, called CloneSpec (case sensitive)
Just set it as property dictionary drop down, and set a value list for all custom spec names in vCenter (also case sensitive)

this will do the trick... Smiley Happy

BR,
Omer

0 Kudos
VirExprt
Expert
Expert

Hey Omer,

it dint worked for me!!! Smiley Sad

Here are few things i doubt!!

1- Provisioning Group conifgured with AD OU however with choice of domain these OU will very, can it be a problem?

2- I am not assigning IP using DHCP but static IP from 'Network Profile' in vCAC.Can this be a problem?

3- Is there requirement of VRM agent for windows / linux to be installed on the server before joining to domain?

Please help!!!

Br,

MG

Regards, MG
0 Kudos
christianpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

During vCenter cloning, the joining of domain is done by sysprep based on input from the customization specification.

1) No, when joining the domain is done by sysprep it depends on the AD user specified in the custom spec.

2) If the network interface on the VM cannot contact the domain controller, you have a problem.

3) No

Check that the vSphereAgent.log specifies the right CloneSpec: [[myVM]] [CloneVM] cloneSpec=mySpecAsListedInvCenter

If that's OK, you can debug from vCenter directly.

VirExprt
Expert
Expert

Hey Thanks a lot!! it added up more to my vCAC understanding Smiley Happy

there was a silly mistake or glitch i found out causing this issue.

From vCenter customization specs i was passing credentials in 'Domain\username' form where as one VMware KB article suggested to use 'username@domain.local' format and walah!!! this worked.

But still it is surprising because UPN is both way are make the same sense, which technically should`nt be problem.

However it solved my problem Smiley Happy

Thanks Guys for your help!!

BR,

MG

Regards, MG
0 Kudos