picnic1
Contributor
Contributor

strategy for choosing between two clusters

Jump to solution

Hi, 
I was wondering, when two clusters matche with our tags when allocating, what is the strategy used for choosing a cluster more than another ? Is it the amount of free storage, RAM, CPU, other ? 

On the picture , imagine my tags would have matched 2 clusters.

picnic1_0-1646919173652.png

Thanks !

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When multiple compute options comply with the designated constraints, vRA will use the Placement Policies configured in Cloud Assembly - at the Project level (Administration > Projects > [Project_Name] > Provisioning >Placement Policy) to select the Zone, and at the Zone level (Configure >Cloud Zones > [Cloud_Zone_Name] > Summary >Placement Policy) to select the compute. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When multiple compute options comply with the designated constraints, vRA will use the Placement Policies configured in Cloud Assembly - at the Project level (Administration > Projects > [Project_Name] > Provisioning >Placement Policy) to select the Zone, and at the Zone level (Configure >Cloud Zones > [Cloud_Zone_Name] > Summary >Placement Policy) to select the compute. 

picnic1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks !
I have only 2 choices and I saw on internet there was 4 (DEFAULT, BINPACK, SPREAD and ADVANCED), is it normal ?

picnic1_0-1647005884141.png

0 Kudos
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are only two placement strategies available at the Project level, where you're defining the logic used for selecting amongst available Cloud Zones. So I think what you're seeing is correct:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/8.6/Using-and-Managing-Cloud-Assembly/GUID-91ED93ED-8...

There are three placement policies you can apply at the Cloud Zone level:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/8.6/Using-and-Managing-Cloud-Assembly/GUID-9E6FE02D-2... 

I want to say I remember reading about the Advanced policy option once upon a time but I don't recall seeing it in any of my vRA environments.