VMware Cloud Community
tarunemany
Contributor
Contributor

set Custom properties from vCAC

Hi,

I am trying to provisioning a VM from vCAC. I want to set custom property such as "rootpassword" while provisioning.

How can I do that from vCAC. I am new to vCAC. Please help.

I have gone through this http://pubs.vmware.com/vCAC-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vcloud-automation-center-60-custom-proper... document, but I couldn't find.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I assume you are wanting that custom property to set the root password on the machine. There are 2 ways to go about about it. On option is to install the vRA guest agent on the machine you are cloning and use a script on the template to set the root password. See this guide as a reference vRealize Automation 6.2 - Specifying a New Root Password Using Custom Properties.‌ Alternatively, if you do not want to use the guest agent you can use a vCO workflow to execute the commands required to change the root password. Here is a guide and link to a workflow to do that. Adding Local Admin Without the Guest Agent‌. It was created for adding a local admin to a windows guest but could be easily modified to support linux as well. 

0 Kudos
tarunemany
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for quick response..

My actual scenario is I am cloning vCO VM using vCAC. I am able to configure ip address using "VirtualMachine.NetworkN.Address" this property in vCAC.

But, I need to set other custom properties while provisioning, properties like  "varoot-password"  and "vcoconf-password" while provisioning from vCAC. How can I do this ?

In general, can i configure the properties in OVF file using vCAC?

0 Kudos
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok. You will need to create the custom property in the property dictionary first. Infrastructure > Blueprints > Property Dictionary. Create a property, you can name it whatever you'd like. Display name is what the user will see. There is a password control type that will fit this use case well and I imagine you would want it to be required. Edit the blueprint that that you want to set the password on and add the property name you just created to custom properties section of the blueprint. You can go to request the machine to see if your new property shows up. You can follow the other guides posted to use this new custom property to set the root password on the VM that is provisioned.

0 Kudos
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry, I missed your final question about OVF properties. Search the community as there are other threads that discuss cloning OVF's that might help you achieve your goal.

0 Kudos