VMware Cloud Community
Dolph181
Contributor
Contributor

machine prefix picker

I'm almost a complete noob, so a little hand holding is appreciated.

I'm making a custom form'd blueprint, and I'm trying to find the best way to accomplish something.

I want the end user to be able to pick from the (already created) machine prefix list that has already been defined. 

Example prefix list:

BG1DEV,BG1DEP,BG1TST,BG1UAT

Then end user just picks, and deploys from blueprint.

Thanks!

-William

-Kyle
0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There are multiple ways to go about doing this, but the question would be "why do you want the user to be able to select the machine prefix?" What if they select one that's inappropriate for their use? The better approach is to determine that value based on other things, like who is requesting it, where it's going, what's inside the blueprint, etc. If you want the "easy button" to do this type of deterministic switching based on any number of inputs, the best thing to use would be SovLabs' Property Toolkit. Yes, it costs a few bucks, but what it enables and the custom code it saves is truly mind boggling.

0 Kudos
Dolph181
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your input! Once additional cycles can be spent on getting more complex blueprints built.. Then I can get something more logic driven. You are right, I do not want my user's selecting machine prefixes! Gotta deal the hand I currently have. 

Tempted to use some of SovLabs stuff, but gotta get further down the road on this deployment before bringing in new vendors, and spending more money. Plus, I've heard about some problematic behavior around SovLabs plugins. I personally know a company that has at least 10 outstanding tickets for broken SovLabs plugins.

Wonder if there is any other thoughts out there.

-Kyle
0 Kudos
DaveW_SovLabs
Contributor
Contributor

Dolph181.

Hi,

One of the things we've focused on above and beyond anything else is quality and support. I wanted to make sure I followed up on your post and provided you direct access to the SovLabs team.  If there's anything we can help you with please let us know.  My email address is dwasserman@sovlabs.com

I looked at our ticket/support portal and there are no customers that match the persona you referenced. 

Please have your contact at reach out to me directly so we can review and make sure they are getting the support they need.

As an FYI our Customer Success team is globally based with resources in the US, UK, Denmark, and Australia.  We've gotten a really amazing response from customers on the quality of our support.  We track tickets and issues very closely and review critical items on a weekly standup.

Good luck with your vRA design/deploy.  I'd love to set you up with some trial licensing so you can re-post on your experience.

Tha

0 Kudos
Dolph181
Contributor
Contributor

I have no current need/want to engage SovLabs. Put down your shovel. 

I think it was about 4 weeks ago that the person I know mentioned 10 outstanding tickets for broke SovLabs plugins. 

Thanks for wishing me good luck!

Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

-William

-Kyle
0 Kudos