VMware Cloud Community
mikestevenson00
Contributor
Contributor

advice on deploying multi-tier application using vRA

I'm interested in using vRA to deploy a multi-tier environment, like a LAMP stack for example.  I have some basic blueprints published to clone from templates in my vsphere environment, but what is the best method to do the guest customization after that?  Is the vRA Designer capable of doing this, or will I need to use vRO instead?  Or something else entirely?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlexJudge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In general terms, vRA Application Services is used for multi-tier application deployment. It is capable of orchestrating the installation of all the software components to a number of different OS/VMs in an order you specify. App Services is a licensable product though, so if you're not covered for it, you'll need to take an alternate approach.

mikestevenson00
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I've since found that myself.  I took the vCAC course a while back, but the app services machine was baked into the lab environment, so I didn't have that in my mental list of things I needed.  I've gotten it installed now, and after a bunch of wrestling with the guest agent things are starting to look up.  How is the official documentation for creating new deployments?  Any other resources you can recommend towards that end?

0 Kudos
mikestevenson00
Contributor
Contributor

Just noticed I replied to myself earlier instead of to you directly.

0 Kudos