VMware Cloud Community
rishabmehta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

XaaS on vRA running flows only after 20 min

Hi

I recently deployed vRA 7 in a distributed architecture which is still stuck (refer to my other thread). So I installed it is a standalone configuration and installation seemed to go fine. I finished all operations like adding endpoint, adding business group fabric group etc. Even provisioning is working fine.

Now to the issue.

I created a XaaS blueprint and published it. It calls the internal vRO workflow to do a certain task. The thing is the workflow works fine and the operation is completed but it takes hell lot of time.

After analyzing the times I came to a conclusion that it happens at regular intervals of 20 min.

e.g. I request the catalog at say 3:01, 3:10 and at 3:19 all 3 stay in 'in progress' state till 3:20 and then execute at 3:20. similarly if i request one at 3:21 it executes only at 3:40 thus in 20 min intervals.

If this is an intentional change in vRA 7.0 I believe is fails the purpose of XaaS.

In case you are wondering this might be an issue with the internal vRO, I even deployed a standalone vRO 7 but still the intervals stay the same.

Any thoughts??

-R

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlexJudge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is not normal behavior. If you're seeing the same issue with both the internal and external vRO instances, Im guessing this is a vRA problem somewhere.

Can you give us some detail on the XaaS resource you have published, what does it do, how is it configured?

0 Kudos
rishabmehta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Alex,

The XaaS catalog item basically just creates a AD user and adds him to a group. The problem is not with vRO as the work flow is never triggered till the 20th minite, as soon as it gets triggered it finishes with in a sec or less.

Also I have AD user (custom resource) created as a result of the flow, hence I also have actions associated with the same. Actions like removing user from the group and deleting the user etc. Even these follow the 20min trend described before.

Let me try doing this on a different instance of vRA 7 and get back to you. If in case I don't come across this issue I'll know its a issue with my current setup.

Thanks for your reply.

-R

0 Kudos
rishabmehta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Alex,

I just tried with a colleague's vRA 7 Instance and the behavior was exactly the same as before.

I again tried both internal and an external vRO. The Time difference is exactly 20 min again here. So I believe maybe this is something intentional in vRA/vRO 7.

Just for the information the workflow I used here was a hello world workflow which just has a  scriptable task with System.log ("hi"); in it.

Any thoughts?

-R

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

Interesting. I've created an XaaS based on the AD plugin and it runs immediately. This is on a standalone instance with internal vRO.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
rishabmehta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Grant,

Initially I had a doubt maybe my Setup has a problem, but since then i have tried on 3 different vRA 7 setups.

All of them deployed from the same .ova and all using the wizard and the initial configuration workflow. Could these things be an issue. I believe there must be some file I can go and edit to reduce this time maybe.

-R

0 Kudos