VMware Cloud Community
glanzmann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2012 provisioning

Hello, I tried to provision Windows Server 2012 using vcac using vCenter. Clonening works, guest customization is kicked off, but often the VM hangs, so it needs a manual reboot. This documented in the kb articles 2048394 and 20373666. However Windows Server 2012 is not a supported guest os according to the vcac matrix. I also noticed that is possible to install the guest agent, but it doesn't call in. So I wonder when Windows server 2012 will be fully supported and if there is a way to get the guest agent running? Cheers,     Thomas

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dmmazur
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Thomas,

We will fully support Server 2012 as a guest OS in our 5.2 release (scheduled to GA any day now).

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dmmazur
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Thomas,

We will fully support Server 2012 as a guest OS in our 5.2 release (scheduled to GA any day now).

Dave

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm using version 6.0 and I am having this exact problem with 2012.  Is there something special I need to do to work around this in vCAC?

0 Kudos
christianpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Which vCenter version are you using? As mentioned above, VMware KB: Guest OS customization of Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 may not complete , this is primarily related to how vCenter syspreps the Windows OS...unless your problem is the vCAC guest agent.

christianpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am using vCenter 5.0u3, but still experienced customization timeouts on Windows 8 clones.

In my case, uninstalling the McAfee antivirus agent did the trick.

qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I don't have the guest agent installed in the image.  We do have McAfee though.  We are using 5.1 for our vCenter with no updates.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I just looked at the 5.1 release notes.  Looks like this was resolved in 5.1 update 1 but they did not update their KB article to reflect that.  It just says it is resolved in 5.0 update 2. 

0 Kudos