VMware Cloud Community
ChrisC6
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 10 Template Fails; Windows Could not Finish Configuring the System

I have a windows 10 template, installed the Guest Agent and have a cert.pem.  The guest agent service is running and all the logs look fine, comparing it to another working template and it looks similar.

When I request this Windows 10 template from vRA, the allocation succeeds but the provisioning was taking a while. I went to the vCenter and could see the new windows 10 machine. When opening the console I notices an 'Install Windows' box, with "Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer".

On vRA, when the machine eventually fails, it says Timeout Customizing Machine

Am I missing something, why would this be happening?

Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LUCKY1011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Pleasee have a look into below areas.

1. Sysprep.

2. Check the task sequence in customiztion specification.

3. Check if Time zone is matching with the poxy agent.

4. Check if antivirus is causing this.

Thanks

Jahid Khan

View solution in original post

13 Replies
rwk1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello!

This looks like a SysPrep problem. Can you check the logs at C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Panther ?

Robert

Drink coffee.. Do stupid things faster with more energy...
0 Kudos
lukelloydCIS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As Robert has already said it is a Windows sysprep problem, you can look at the logs on the VM before it gets destroyed to get more detail into what is failing.

In order to help your troubleshooting I would deploy a VM from the template withing vCenter (bypassing vRA for now) as you should get the same error but not have the issue of vRA destroying it just as you are looking through the logs.

If I were to hazard a guess I would actually say the issue lies in the customisation spec within vCenter. Check to make sure the settings are valid, especially around license key and/or Administrator password/auto-login. It can sometimes help to download the customisation spec xml file and check the tags to make sure nothing contradicts.

The sysprep log will tell you (in Microsoft talk) what is wrong though.

0 Kudos
ChrisC6
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

late reply, sorry..

I have tried deploying from the template in vcenter but dont get the error 😕

The custom spec has always been the same and was working with previous templates..

I have had a look at the sysprep logs but dont see any errors, also cant seem to access some of those sysprep logs even tho I am admin

Its also happening to a windows 7 template. again no custom specs or property group settings have changed and were all working before.

We have a ticket with VMware and are waiting on their reply, but if anyone else has any suggestions then please do get in touch Smiley Happy

Thanks Guys

0 Kudos
ChrisC6
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Robert,

Had a look at these logs but not seeing much, anything in particular i need to look out for?

Thanks for you response

0 Kudos
rwk1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello!

Look for entries like

Sysprep_Generalize_MiStreamProv: RegDeleteValue for target uri failed with error = 2[gle=0x00000002]

Sysprep_Generalize_MiStreamProv: RegDeleteValue for full payload time failed with error = 2[gle=0x00000002]

If yes then you need to set this RegKey:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\StreamProvider]

"LastFullPayloadTime"=dword:00000000

This fixes our problem with Windows Server Templates but in your case this is just guessing Smiley Happy

Can you upload the sysprep logs?

Robert

Drink coffee.. Do stupid things faster with more energy...
0 Kudos
lukelloydCIS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried deploying from the template in vcenter but dont get the error

Just confirming, you did tick to use the customization spec rather than just the standard deploy vm from template correct?

0 Kudos
ChrisC6
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah... I might have rushed it and forgot to clone fusing customization spec.. I do get the same error in this case, my bad..

The custom spec had always worked before, nothing changed 😕

0 Kudos
lukelloydCIS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah... I might have rushed it and forgot to clone fusing customization spec.. I do get the same error in this case, my bad..

The custom spec had always worked before, nothing changed 😕

Yeah thought so Smiley Wink

well at least you know issue is with CS and not vRA Smiley Happy

Export the CS to XML and upload here and I can take a look. It is usually issue around key or administrator account (password or auto login). You could always edit the CS (double check all the settings etc) and finish/save and see if that then works. Get it working in vCenter first then vRA should work fine.

0 Kudos
LUCKY1011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Pleasee have a look into below areas.

1. Sysprep.

2. Check the task sequence in customiztion specification.

3. Check if Time zone is matching with the poxy agent.

4. Check if antivirus is causing this.

Thanks

Jahid Khan

ChrisC6
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We found the problem, McAfee DLP was causing the issue.  After all the McAfee products had been installed the deployment built successfully

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

ChrisC6
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It was our antivirus that was causing the issue, after uninstalling all the antivirus products the build was successful, thanks for the help

0 Kudos
lukelloydCIS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Glad you found the issue and solved it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
LUCKY1011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I had already suggested that this may be due to antivirus.  Please check my earlier reply and mark the answer correct if you think is fine.

0 Kudos