VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

What vCenter should VCAC be in

Should vCAC be in the same vCenter that it is provisioning to?  If I have only one vCenter in my environment, should I take VCAC out of it in case the environment grows to more than one vCenter?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It honestly depends on your operational processes. For my implementation, yes, we did that.

-Steve
0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Thanks for your input.  If it depends on operational processes, then it must be evaluated on the basis of what operational processes lend themselves toward one design decision vs. another.  What operational processes influenced design factors that led you toward your design decision of pulling VCAC out of vCenter?

0 Kudos
AlexJudge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It really depends on your use-case. In some environments, it's better to keep all management related infrastructure separated from the general VM workloads. For example, you might want to build a vCenter which hosts your vCAC, vCO, vC Ops etc. infrastructure. Then have that environment manage separate infrastructure. It's really just a case of separating concerns.

0 Kudos
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It honestly does not matter.  Separating out from a certain vcenter is not what matters really it is more having a separate management cluster.  You can connect to many vCenter's through vCAC and that does not matter but you create a management cluster so you are not provisioning services on the same cluster your management VM's are on.  The Management Cluster is also where your vCenter should reside because you want your management separated from Customers and not consuming resources from hosts that your customers are using.  Remember you are not provisioning to a vCenter you are provisioning to a Cluster and that is how you create resources in vCAC is by the ESXi Cluster and vCenter is just how you discover those resources and how commands get sent. 

0 Kudos