VMware Cloud Community
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vxlan virtual wires IP scope

Hi, I have configured VXLAN and create virtual wires, how to assging IP scope to these virtual wires?? am using Vcns 5.5 and Vcac 6.2

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ndalal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

One of the way to have IP scope by creating IP scope on Network protocol profile for DV portgroup

0 Kudos
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, I have configured IP to the VM which has virtual wire, but I can ping it from the outer world I can communicate inside the same wire but not outside the wire, should I need to do any changes on physical switches also? currently we are having Cisco 7k switches

0 Kudos
ndalal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is difficult to respond with little information about exact problem.Please clarify what type of network profile being used. Also, please make sure topology is correctly configured. If NAT is in picture then make sure firewall/NAT are correctly configured.

0 Kudos
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I configured Vteps  on all the hosts on same vlan id 11, am not using NAT.

0 Kudos
ndalal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is difficult to diagnose without not much information. Please feel free to post more info here about problem or file SR with vmware support.

0 Kudos
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok let me understand, do I need to do any changes on physical switch to make external networking to  work with out using NAT?? I have configured everything inside Vcns and working fine internally inside vswitch but if I assigin IP to the virtual wire I can communicate internally  in that wire but cant ping to the gateway.

0 Kudos
ndalal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I dont think you need to make any changes to switch. Make sure Edge is correctly configured. You can not ping edge from vm, that means something is broken there only. Traffic is not reaching to edge and hence you can not communicate to outside world.

0 Kudos
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Edge is working fine, I can ping edge from outside, my problem is I have created a wire and assigned to a VM and configured IP 192.168.0.30 and from that VM I cant ping to the gateway IP 192.168.0.1, but I can ping to another VM on same wire which has IP 192.168.0.31. Communication is happening inside the vswitch but not going to the core switches. I should be able to configure any IP range for my virtual wires and should communicate across the physical network without changing anything on physical switches will this work?

0 Kudos
ndalal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are these vms on same ESX host? Edge on different ESX host?

It looks like more VXLAN config issue to me.

If above questions are yes, then try to put edge and vm on same host and see if ping works. Also, what is MTU configured while configuring VXLAN?

0 Kudos
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MTU is 1600, I have a cluster with 2 hosts, deployed 2 test VM's on both the hosts and edge is on one of the host with HA. VTEPS or on the same vlan id 11 on both the hosts, configured as per document, not sure why I can ping to the physical gateways.

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

Basically your vwire will be attached to a vShield Edge, which will have an uplink to a port group.

If you want to communicate outside the vwire, then you will need to be using either a NAT profile, or a Routed profile. Otherwise, traffic cannot traverse the Edge.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, can you please elaborate where to create a routed profile?? and how to do it

0 Kudos
ndalal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

For some background, have a read of this.

Creating a Routed profile is quite similar to creating the External profile, but does  need a few extra steps. Have a look at the official documentation linked above, and if you're still not having luck then have a read of this post by Sid Smith which runs through it with some pictures to help.

If you're still not having any joy, then come back to this post and I'll sort you out.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos