VMware Cloud Community
Noemie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vra 7.5 Patch HF5 installation loop indefinetly on HF4 uninstallation step

Hello All,

As the new HF has been just release ( next week) for Vra 7.5, i'm trying to apply it on my environnement since last frisday.

I correctly download it, check the hash , and upload it on my Master Vami Vra.

Since last Frisday the HF5 is running and looping indefinitely at the step " uninstall HF4".

I would like to know if someone has sucessfully install it recently and if someone knows how can i stop the task properly ? ( i don't find any process attached to "patch" name for example on my vra appliance )

RegardsHF5_loop_indefinitely.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I have installed it successfully. If you're having issues, the only thing to suggest is contact GSS as there are no published procedures to recover from a failed patch installation.

0 Kudos
nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ran into the same issue but I was installing it via vRLCM. I opened a ticket on Thursday with support and still working on a resolution.

0 Kudos
Noemie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello nsajepi,

Thanks for your feedback, i have also open a SR to the support, they ask me for logs for the moment. I will share the solution here if we find something relevant with the support.

nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Noemie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello all,

No news from the support for now, but vra 7.6 have just been released on Yesterday, so maybe we will have to plan an upgrade.. i don't know, still waitting an answer from the support.

Source link : What’s New in vRealize Automation 7.6 and vRealize Lifecycle Manager 2.1 - VMware Cloud Management

Regards,

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It hasn't been released yet, only announced. Big difference.

lporreco
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem also. Look at the trouble shooting section of the KB https://kb.vmware.com/kb/60310

Basically you need to uninstall the management agent agents from all the IAAS servers. Then extract the new agent from the update package using  7-zip. Then manually reinstall the new agent on all the IAAS servers,. SSH into the virtual appliance master node and replace the "isApplied" value to true:
  • sed -i 's/false/true/g' /usr/lib/vcac/patches/repo/contents/vRA-patch/self-patch.json

Then rerun the HF5patch install. Its a PITA especially if you have like 12 IAAS servers. 
0 Kudos
Noemie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello lporreco,

You 're right, i took a look on troubleshooting section on cumulative patch page, but as you said it's a very disappointing workarround.

I won't tell that to my ops team which is managing a lot of server , to do all of that manually 😞 Our  basic design is deployed with 6 iaas each time, so this solution  it's not very user friendly for us.

Normaly a hotfix is to fix issue not to give us more work. I m' still waitting from support answer if they have a better solution to propose or maybe a new patch 🙂

Regards,

0 Kudos
Noemie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello All,

Does anybody know how to stop this patch task ? I will try to install my iaas server manually

I can't do a revet snapshot, because my last snapshot is quite far and each time i did that on vra appliance, i got the super message " you will need to reploay" so if i can avoid that... 🙂

The task is still runing since the 2019-03-29  ^^

Regards,

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You need to open a support case.

0 Kudos
Noemie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello ,

Yes it's open but no news for the moment since one week.. i will send them a reminder but i have to find a solution to get back my vra.. 😞

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You've gotta stay on top of them. If you've not getting the response you want, escalate the case. If your vRA is down, this is an outage scenario and so needs to be classified as such.

0 Kudos
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I followed this link for hotfix 5:

VMware Knowledge Base

I also followed the troubleshoot section mentions in the end of the KB:

In the event the patch installation continues to loop indefinitely on the installation page with no activity in vcac-config.log,review and perform the following:

• Open the vRealize Automation 5480 VAMI interface and validate the versions of all installed management agents are at version 7.5.0.15786.
  • For each IaaS component that did not fully upgrade the MA to this version:
  • Upload the patch, wait for it to fully upload / extract.
  • Before clicking on install, SSH into the virtual appliance master node and replace the "isApplied" value to true:
    sed -i 's/false/true/g' /usr/lib/vcac/patches/repo/contents/vRA-patch/self-patch.json
  • Go back to Patch Management tab in which the hotpatch was uploaded and select "Install"

However, I don't see any update for build numbers. should I see something? The appliance stay with version: 7.5.0.458 Build 10053539

The only thing I see is the successful installation in the Patch tab in the appliance,

and a newer version of VMware vCloud Automation Center Management Agent - 7.5.0.15786 (before it was 7.5.0.14711) - This is the only program I uninstalled and installed manually (according the troubleshoot install section).

pastedImage_0.png

Am i missing something?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

That is correct, there is no build number increment with this hotfix.

0 Kudos
seamusobr1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am also having this issue I have raised a problem ticket with GSS

0 Kudos