VMware Cloud Community
UserVcac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName

Hello all.

I am using the propriety Virtual "Machine.Network0.ProfileName" to add a static address to my blueprint. When I send a new request, the machine is created, but there is no IP address, only the mac address.

Everything is well configured. I have create a network profile with a pool address, and I added the network profile to the reservation.

PS: when I send a request without choosing The network name and the storage, a network is choosed and an address is assigned to the new VM

DO you have any idea about what could be the problem please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pwmiller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When using IaaS to clone machines, make sure you use both VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName and VirtualMachine.Network0.Name (the name of the vSphere network). The two objects are not related in the vCAC model and it is up to you to correlate them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
tmactive
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In vSphere, did you create the customization spec for that OS and reference it in your vCAC blueprint?

0 Kudos
UserVcac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No I didn't. How can I do it ?

0 Kudos
tmactive
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I won't rehash what someone has already put effort into. Read this post, slowly Smiley Happy

http://vzare.com/2014/02/06/vcloud-automation-center-6-0-creating-build-profiles-custom-properties/

0 Kudos
UserVcac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh I did! but it still not working .

When I send a new request without specify the name of the network, it works and the new machine has a new address ...

0 Kudos
pwmiller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When using IaaS to clone machines, make sure you use both VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName and VirtualMachine.Network0.Name (the name of the vSphere network). The two objects are not related in the vCAC model and it is up to you to correlate them.

0 Kudos
UserVcac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great !! It works. THanks

0 Kudos
chrisheartland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem except I already have both "Name" and "ProfileName" properties set. Do these have to be in a particular order?

0 Kudos
zebduin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName refers to the network profile. The network profile is mapped to the vCenter network in the virtual reservation.  Thus VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName is mapped to VirtualMachine.Network0.Name.

I have had successful deployments using the VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName only.

0 Kudos
chrisheartland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I removed VirtualMachine.Network0.Name and left ProfileName but got the same results (round robin).

0 Kudos
zebduin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The network profile is only mapped to one network port group - I don't know why it would round robin.  Obviously go with what works.  Is it assigning an IP from the IPv4 range that you've defined?

0 Kudos
chrisheartland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's assigning the IP based on the default round robin method no matter if I set the ProfileName or not. So, as of now, it's not working the way I want.

Edit: Ok I think I figured this out. During my testing, I decided to add a custom propety to the blueprint called "VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName" and gave it a value of "anything". I ran multiple builds again and this time they were all built on the same network profile (the one selected). I don't know why this property is unique in needing to explicityly be set in the blueprint when none of the others do (dns, wins, gateway, subnet mask, etc). It just adds confusion to the whole thing.

Edit2: Crap! Nevermind. I jumped the gun. It just kept the value that I explicitly set in the blueprint and even after using an update workflow it did not update the profile name to what I dynamically set in my vCO workflow Smiley Sad.

0 Kudos