VMware Cloud Community
craigso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VirtualMachine.Network0.Name custom property assigns network but VM does not get IP assigned

To start out, thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I'm using vRA 7.4 and attempting to allow a user provision a VM and allowing them to select a network via a dropdown on a blueprint. I have several networks defined in vRA, which have pools of IPs associated with them. These networks are tied to specific business groups.

vRA_network profiles.PNG

vRA_reservations.PNG

All of the network configuration in vRA seems to be working as expected. I've created a custom property VirtualMachine.Network0.Name which populates a dropdown using the vRO action com.vmware.vra.networks\getApplicableNetworks.

vRA_Custom_Property.PNG

This appears to work, in at least its populating the dropdown with the appropriate networks. (there are a few extra networks shown in the image below. This is expected as image capture was with an admin user)

vRA blueprint.PNG

The issue I'm seeing is that when the VM is provisioned it does receive the appropriate network (as shown below) but the client does not get configured with the IP address allocated from the pool. instead, it just clones the address from the template.

vRA_VMConfig.PNG

vRA_network_reservatopm.PNG

Is there another step I'm missing to actually assign the allocated IP information the VM itself?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is your clone in the blueprint calling a vCenter customization spec? If not, that is a requirement to get the static IP. If so, can you please show the customization spec's configuration?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
craigso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also for additional reference, I'm trying to follow this article: http://www.joseluisgomez.com/automation/dynamic-enforcement-for-network-selection-in-vra-7/

http://www.joseluisgomez.com/automation/dynamic-enforcement-for-network-selection-in-vra-7/

Although, some of the issues mentioned in the article seems to have been fixed in 7.4. So I am just using the actions natively without modification.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is your clone in the blueprint calling a vCenter customization spec? If not, that is a requirement to get the static IP. If so, can you please show the customization spec's configuration?

0 Kudos
craigso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You were right on the money with this. I should have been calling a customization spec, but I was not. I linked our existing spec and it started working as expected.

Thank you!

0 Kudos