VMware Cloud Community
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VRA7 deployment best practice

Hi,

i am in the process of looking into the rollout of VRA7 with NSX.

is it still best practice to have your management vm's running on a different cluster to your workload vms, the reason i ask is NSX, with this integrated is it better to have it hanging off one vcentre or two.  I have found the documentation below but i al looking for a bit more detail around the physical setup and how many cventres a typical roll out would need.

vRealize Automation 7.0

cheers

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Skoch, thanks for the response. 

i imagined it would have a lot of bugs but our exiting env is UAT so we have a prime opportunity to upgrade and just keep running with 7 and keep updating.....   i think 7 gives us some great improvements so hopefully worth it in the long run.

we are looking to do the update in april/may so  fingers crossed a new update is out.

cheers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
skoch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Phil,

Yes it's still best practice to have the management VMs running on a separate cluster (which is often done on a separate vCenter). Typically a rollout would have at least two vCenters, one vCenter for the management cluster and one vCenter for the payload and edge clusters. The NSX manager in this case would be in the management cluster while the controllers would be in the edge cluster. This separates out each of the planes.

Regarding vRA 7, I would recommend holding off until an update comes out. I'm in the middle of deploying an HA distributed vRA 7 environment and have run into tons of issues that are not listed in the release notes.

phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Skoch, thanks for the response. 

i imagined it would have a lot of bugs but our exiting env is UAT so we have a prime opportunity to upgrade and just keep running with 7 and keep updating.....   i think 7 gives us some great improvements so hopefully worth it in the long run.

we are looking to do the update in april/may so  fingers crossed a new update is out.

cheers

0 Kudos
skoch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If it's UAT then definitely go for it. I've heard whispers that 7.0.1 will be coming out soon (not sure when that is) so hopefully it'll be before april/may.

0 Kudos