VMware Cloud Community
savroth
Contributor
Contributor

VRA 8 Deployment of VM with static IP ends up with network disconnected

Hi,

I'm trying to do a simple blueprint with Windows and cloudbase-init but struggles to get network connectivity when I try to use "assignment: static" and internal IPAM.

When I deploy the blueprint the deployed VM starts with the network disconnected, but in the OS it got an static IP.

If I choose "assignment: dynamic" it works just fine, why is that?

This is on-premise vSphere

/Rickard

0 Kudos
5 Replies
maneeSEA
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like this is an open issue, opened by VMware folks who ran into the issue as well:

https://github.com/cloudbase/cloudbase-init/issues/38

Hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

0 Kudos
dbis7575
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had this same issue (cloudbase-init or custmization spec) when the NIC in the template was diconnected. Can you check your template?

0 Kudos
savroth
Contributor
Contributor

It works just fine if I use DHCP with the same template. The strange thing is that it starts with network card disconnected, long before cloudbase-init is initialized.
0 Kudos
lowlysysadmin
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue.

My image (vm template) was sysprep'd using Windows sysprep command before converting to a template.

I rebuilt the image without sysprep and used a customisation specification in vcenter to do the sysprep upon boot instead. This resolved the NIC issue.

0 Kudos
j_dubs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We followed up on this with the VMware staff member from that thread, and the cloudbase-init posts.

This comes down to the ovf provider which vRA uses with cloudbase-init not supporting static IP.  It will only support dynamic IP at this point, and does not look to be taking the static IP any time soon.

We ended up ditching cloudbase-init for our builds and focused on using ansible (free) for all of our customization needs (cloud-agnostic machine blueprint to provision windows or linux iaas.)

0 Kudos