VMware Cloud Community
tm19
Contributor
Contributor

VRA 7 Linux kickstart locked cd

Hi,

Have windows deploys working ok with sccm & vra, for linux using kickstart getting an issue where the cd is locked at the end of the build.

At some point before kickstart wants to reboot the vm we get'The guest operating system has locked the CD-ROM door', the linux guys assure me the vm doesn't have the cd mounted.We have to answer the unlock question in vsphere before it proceeds.

So, is there a way to answer that question automatically, its after the VRA build stage, but before the VRA provisioned stage. Have looked at :

VMware KB: Linux virtual machine fails to respond after a mounted CDROM is disconnected

Not sure how that would work as the vmx isn't there at build phase, any help much appreciated, specially if someone has linux rhel 7 kickstarts going with out coming across this issue.

Cheers

Thomas

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlexJudge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have this working for several environments, including my home lab. I've not seen this behaviour before.

One of the workflow states the VM will go through during the build is 'EjectingCD'. You can see that state under Infrastructure/Managed Machines. My best guess is that something in the Kickstart process is still using the CDROM when the eject is called from vRA.

Are you using the standard custom properties to mount the CDROM, or are you PXE booting?

0 Kudos
tm19
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, we are using the standard custom properties to mount an iso with the kickstart in it.

I think you are right in that something is still keeping hold of the cd in the kickstart. I'm going to ask the linux guys to go over it again.

Cheers

0 Kudos
AlexJudge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Out of interest, is your kickstart pulling files from the CD-ROM, or from an online repo?

0 Kudos
tm19
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Online repo, cd is there just to boot up and start off the kickstart.

Cheers

0 Kudos
JoeElliott
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Was there a resolution to this?  I am having the same issue.  Receiving the cdrom error with RHEL7, works fine with RHEL6. 

I found this https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2144053 which makes sense, just wondering if there is a better resolution. 

0 Kudos