VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

VCAC and OVA provisioning

I am using VCAC for self provisioning, but I need to add the ability for a tenant to be able to upload and deploy their own OVA file into VCAC and then provision it, then apply a blueprint to the deployed VM to customize the settings.  Is there a guide to doing this?

4 Replies
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Nope... You'll be building that all by your lonesome.. I've had a few discussions with VMware on this topic (I have a need, as well)... but, it's a non-trivial thing to do. Lots of complexity involved.

-Steve
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Check out this thread.Deploying an OVA or OVF from vCAC 6.1

The way I've been thinking about doing this is to create a repository that users can save their OVAs to then create an orchestrator workflow that will deploy it using the of tool.  This is merely a thought though. Not sure how complicated that will be until I get started on it.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This has been on my VMware Christmas list for quite some time now.  This is going to require a good deal of automation to achieve the results you are likely going to want in a customer facing service.  If the customer is a server admin type you might just want to give them the access they need in vSphere and vRA.  VMware does keep talking about some sort of catalog service (been coming soon for what seems like forever) and some other things which I probably can't publicly talk about here but it all seems like vapor ware at this point.

I know a guy that might have some workflows for doing this already.  Let me check with my back alley source.

Paul

GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

I'll be talking to the product team this week about a few announcements that will be made this week, and their impact on what we can do in this area. Don't hold your breath though, you shouldn't expect to see this type of functionality offered in a dot release.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com