VMware Cloud Community
JensVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VC:VirtualMachine and vCAC:VirtualMachine not passed on from vRA to vRO

Hi,

I have a setup with the newest vRA and newest external vRO Appliance. The blueprints are using the CloneWorkflow to clone templates in vRA. There is also a workflow assigned (not using Event Broker yet, still ExternalWFStubs) that is executed when a machine is provisioned. So far this worked perferctly. Now the underlying vCenter has been updated to Version 6. The cloning of the machines is still working perfectly and also the workflow in vRO gets executed but there is a problem: the VC:VirtualMachine and vCAC:VirtualMachine attributes are not passed on from vRA to the triggered vRO workflow so it fails (they are configured as Input Parameters of the main workflow). Does anyone have an idea what could be the reason for that and how I can fix that? I'm a little bit at a loss because I can't see any errors in the logs beside these parameters are not passed on anymore and I cannot really identify why the update of the vCenter influences the parameters vRA passes on to vRO. The vRA Plugin is installed on the external vRO and is the newest version.

Best Regards

JensVM

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pizzle85
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For clarification, vRA passes a string that is the vCAC VM name to vRO. vRO then executes the vRA plugin runner/worker workflows that get the vCAC:VirtualMachine and VC:VirtualMachine objects from their respective plugins. You might look at those runner workflows and see if you're getting the objects there or if they're getting lost somewhere else through the process.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
pizzle85
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For clarification, vRA passes a string that is the vCAC VM name to vRO. vRO then executes the vRA plugin runner/worker workflows that get the vCAC:VirtualMachine and VC:VirtualMachine objects from their respective plugins. You might look at those runner workflows and see if you're getting the objects there or if they're getting lost somewhere else through the process.

0 Kudos
JensVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello pizzle85,

you're right, I just checked the WFStubMachineProvisioned Workflow. It looks like the Dynamic Wrapper gets the data / variables but the workflow fails in the runner state with the error (I replaced the long IDs with XXXXXXX here):

Workfow execution stack:

item: 'WFStubMachineProvisioned/item3', state: 'failed', business state: 'null', exception: 'Validation error'

workflow: 'WFStubMachineProvisioned' (XXXXXXXX)

|  'attribute': name=externalWFStub type=string value=ExternalWFStubs.MachineProvisioned

|  'attribute': name=__tokenName type=string value=Workflow runner - XXXXXXXXX

|  'attribute': name=host type=vCAC:VCACHost value=dunes://service.dunes.ch/CustomSDKObject?id=XXXXXXX'&dunesName='vCAC:VCACHost'

|  'attribute': name=wf type=Workflow value=dunes://service.dunes.ch/Workflow?id=XXXXXXX'&dunesName='Workflow'

|  'attribute': name=virtualMachineEntity type=vCAC:Entity value=dunes://service.dunes.ch/CustomSDKObject?id='XXXXXXX’ &dunesName='vCAC:Entity'

|  'attribute': name=vCACVm type=vCAC:VirtualMachine value=dunes://service.dunes.ch/CustomSDKObject?id='XXXXXXXX’&dunesName='vCAC:VirtualMachine'

|  'input': name=virtualMachineId type=string value=XXXXXXXX

|  'output': name=subWorkflowOutputs type=Properties value=#[##]#

*** End of execution stack.

To me it looks like the workflow cannot find this Machine the Dynamic Wrapper writes into the VC:VirtualMachine / vCAC:VirtualMachine - but vRA host and IaaS host have a valid connection. What do you think?

Best Regards

JensVM

0 Kudos
pizzle85
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you using vRA 6 or vRA 7?

I've seen weird issues like this in the past that were resolved by restarting the vRO services. Something gets junked up with the VC:SDK connection where it stops returning data properly. Have you tried restarting the vRO services?

0 Kudos
JensVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi pizzle85,

I am using latest vRO 7.0.1 with 7.0.1 vRA Plugin. Yes that was my first thought, too, so I already restarted vRO via vRO Configuration Interface and after that also rebooted the complete appliance but both didn't help out.

Best Regards

JensVM

0 Kudos
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you gotten this answered?  vRA7 passes a payload value so you have to include some extra values for it to pass the legacy inputs to vRO.
0 Kudos
mikejtucker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same issue, my vra/vro6 workflows that use VC:VirtualMachine no longer work. I am going to have to rewrite a number of workflows to run in vra/vro7. Workflows like WaitToolsStarted and upgradeVMTools no longer work because they use VC:VirtualMachine.

Have you been able to work this out? Is there a solution?

0 Kudos