VMware Cloud Community
PetrKovalenko
Contributor
Contributor

Use Composite type to create Custom resources vRealize 8.3

Hello.

Is it possible to use Custom Resources based in Composite type in vRealize 8.3 templates? I am trying, but I always get such error while deploying template with such custom resource:

Failed to get request status: ClientResponse has erroneous status code: 500 Internal Server Error.
WebClientServiceResponseException.ErrorDetails(timestamp=Wed Apr 21 08:28:50 GMT 2021, path=/vro/blueprint/blueprint-provider-request,
type=null, errorCode=0, messageKey=null, messageArguments=null, causeMessage=null) (WebClientServiceResponseException)

My steps to do this:

1. Create 'creation' and 'deletion' workflows in Orchestrator, which outputs the same custom Composite Type (creation workflow) and take an input of Composite Type (for deletion workflow). 

2. Create Custom Resource based on this workflows.

3. Add custom resource to template based on blank canvas, bind all inputs

4. Trying to deploy this template - workflow works fine and fast, but deployment hangs out for a couple of minutes - and get failed with error I provided.

I tried to use dynamic types - but I have another issue with it.

But if I use Custom Resource based on pre-existiong type such as AD:user ir something else, everything works fine.

Could you please help me?

5 Replies
Phil1020
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting this very same issue, none of the out of the box VRO workflows work, most get and error "The currently selected create workflow does not return a single instance of an SDK object type. Please select a workflow which has at least one singular (no 'Array/' prefix) SDK object type output parameter."

Then when i added what seems to be required, output VC:VirtualMachine i get the error same error as this article. it would appear my output in 'null'

any help appreciated 

0 Kudos
ronaldod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know it is a Necro topic.

But has any one had progres with using composite type in custom resources ?

As i get:  404 NOT_FOUND "Could not find the type CompositeType(Here definition of the composite type):typename!"

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert

You cannot use "primitive types" as a source for custom resource type, only SDK objects (you can think of them as anything that appears in the vRO inventory).

I recommend using Dynamic types. Here is a simplified guide how to build one: https://kuklis.github.io/cma/post/vra8-custom-resources-1/

ronaldod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looked into these dynamic types but not sure if i want to use those to store static data.

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert

It is called dynamic just because of the flexibility of the definition. You can represent static data with it, database records, conf element values, anything

0 Kudos