VMware Cloud Community
Henrique_Cicuto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to complete manual installation

Good evening,

For demonstration purposes, I´m documenting the vRA installation procedures.

I´m doing a highly available distributed installation composed of:

- 2 Appliances;

- 2 Windows machines for Web Site/Model Manager/Manager Service/DEM Orchestrator;

- 2 Windows machines for DEM Worker/Agents;

- 1 Windows machine for SQL Server.

A Microsoft CA is signing the certificates for vRA.

An NSX Edge is providing load balancing.

I successfully managed a wizard installation with no issues at all.

Snapshots were taken before starting and now, after reverting them, using the same machines and the same certificates:

- I configured both appliances successfully;

- Now, when installing the first IaaS server, after configuring the roles, I receive a message saying that the certificate was not found (see attached image) although I´ve already copied it into all possible certificate stores and the installer itself is able to see it (once again, see attached image). At this point I still don´t have any kind of installation logs (before Pre-requisite Checker) so I´m unable to figure out which certificate and how it is searching for it;

- I´ve already tried installing the appliances certificates, but the problem persisted;

- I tried creating a new machine but the problem persisted;

- IaaS certificate was installed into all mentioned stores for both local machine and user account;

- Once again, these same machines and certificates were used for a wizard installation that completed without issues.

Has anyone seen this sort of issue? I´ve worked with vRA since vCAC 5.2 and never encountered this specific issue.

Thank you very much,

Henrique Cicuto

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, a couple comments. First, for a highly-available installation, you're usually supposed to break out the Manager/DEM O and Web roles on separate pairs of IaaS servers. You've collapsed them into the same server, which means you'll have overlapping load balancers. The DEM Workers are fine on separate pairs because they don't need to be load balanced, but I'd recommend since you're going there that you separate Web from Manager.

Second, you're using the old IaaS installer rather than the wizard. I've heard of issues when people start replacing and uploading certificates outside of the installer wizard. I have also never had certificate problems when I've used the installer in 7.x (aside from not validating and saving them before continuing). Revert your systems and upload your certs through the wizard when it asks for it.

0 Kudos
Henrique_Cicuto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

For the architecture, this is a configuration I´ve already done a few times over the years and that today VMware officially calls a vRA "medium" configuration (with Web and Manager on the same machines). Of course it has the overlapping load balancing instances but that works like a charm and is officially supported. Also, this is a demo installation environment, so I´m not exactly looking for much scalability 🙂

As for the certificate, it is indeed quite strange. I had no problems at all till 7.2 and now it´s happening on 7.3.

I did another installation using the wizard and noted that it places the certificate into the "Personal" and "Trusted People" certificate stores. Tried to do the same but the old manual installer keeps getting certificate check errors. Either it has some sort of bug or it is looking for a complete different certificate.

I noted that the Management Agent also installs a certificate, so I tried installing it but got the same results.

Still on the quest to do a full manual 7.3 installation.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Why aren't you just using the wizard to do the install, in that case? Even with the architecture you want to deploy, you shouldn't need to fall back on the manual IaaS installer. The wizard is capable of all (I think) configurations.

0 Kudos
Henrique_Cicuto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Read the first two lines from my original post Smiley Happy

I´m a consultant and part of my job is also to train new team members.

And I had certain issues with some team members that encountered issues using the wizard in the past and were unable to proceed because they simply "wouldn´t go with the manual install because they didn´t know how to do a manual install".

Not that the reason actually matters, cause like I´ve also placed above, I did manage a successful installation using the wizard but now there seens to be an issue with the manual installer.

0 Kudos
zwal1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just finished up a medium deployment as well although I used the wizard to perform my install. I got hung up on certs a bit too because it looks like if your web/manager services are going to be on the same boxes you only need one cert for that to function instead of a separate cert for each service as you would if they were broken out. The manager service ends up just using the same cert as the web service.

Of course that means that you need your load balanced url for your manager service as a SAN in your web servers cert in order to pull this off. That's the part that was tripping me up, and perhaps it's doing the same for you. Worth taking a second look anyway.. good luck!

0 Kudos
Henrique_Cicuto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hum... unlikely.

Like I said, since this is a demo, I´m using the same certificates.

I´ve also stumpled upon the Web Site/Manager same machine/same certificate thing (which kind of makes sense since they´re binding to the same port and vRA does not use virtual servers or anything similar to actually separate them).

The certificates when used by the wizard works just fine.

The certificates when used by the manual installer fail.

I´m mostly convinced of two possible explanations:

1 - 7.3 manual installer is bugged and simply doesn´t work (if anyone managed a 7.3 installation using the manual installer, please let me know);

2 - 7.3 manual installer is searching for some other certificate which is not documented and that the wizard automatically (and silently) installs.

0 Kudos
mteofrio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you ever find a resolution for this? I have ran into the exact same issue.
0 Kudos