VMware Cloud Community
rushdirizvygmai
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Transitioning from a vRA 6 standalone to vRA6 Distributed Architecture

Dear Gurus,

Seeking your advice if I am to install vRA6 on a standalone to first get a look and feel and allow users to work and then try and migrate the existing standalone vRA to Distributed vRA.

Is it possible? What's the step by step process in doing so...

Thanks,

Rushdi

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have not deployed with one of those load balancers however I don't see them being an issue. Here is a good example of using HAproxy vRealize Automation 6.2 High Availability. I think you'll find the entire post very helpful for your deployment.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I've seen this done by implementing load balancers when deploying standalone setup and only having 1 component in the LB pools. This is the easiest way to migrate from standalone to distributed because you simply add more components to the load balanced pool and you've grown your deployment. However, this requires significant effort on the initial build which can sometime over complicate things. I've seen some shy away from this because they were no immediate plans to move to a distributed architecture and they would rather put in the work later after the solution was proven.

Another method would be to deploy a standalone architecture with certificates that would be suitable for a distributed architecture. Create a certificates like you would for a distributed install and use DNS aliases that redirect to the individual components where a load balancer would be. This will make the initial build much simpler however when you go to move to a distributed architecture you will have to inject a load balancer in the correct places before you can grow the implementation.

This is a fast moving product and there are slight architectural and deployment changes with almost every release. If you are looking to deploy as a POC then quickly move to a distributed architecture, I would go with the first option and build with the load balancers in place. If you are going to deploy and ride it out until you re ready to grow in a year or more, I would choose the second option as you might end up building a new stack and migrating to it rather than growing what you have depending on changes that may occur in the product.

rushdirizvygmai
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for that insight willonit.

As for load balancers I cannot go back to management and ask them to invest on load balancers at this time.

But instead I am thinking of using open source alternatives such as HAProxy or pfsense.

Have you done any implementations with open source alternatives....

Cheers,

Rushdi

0 Kudos
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have not deployed with one of those load balancers however I don't see them being an issue. Here is a good example of using HAproxy vRealize Automation 6.2 High Availability. I think you'll find the entire post very helpful for your deployment.

rushdirizvygmai
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks a million!

Actually I was looking for this as I am in the middle of designing a vRA 6 project.

Thanks,

Rushdi

0 Kudos