VMware Cloud Community
trailx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Static IP with Linux vSphere blueprint ?

Hi,

I tried to create a Linux (vSphere) blueprint with a static IP. It works with Windows  blueprint Smiley Happy but nothing on Linux :smileyconfused:

In my Linux Blueprint, I added some custom properties :

EditDeleteVirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileNameDMZ-DEVNoNo
EditDeleteVMware.Network.TypeVMXNET3NoNo
EditDeleteVMware.VirtualCenter.OperatingSystemDebian6_64GuestNo

No

Blueprint used a clone method. On reference VM, VMware tools is installed...  but not gugent agent...

Gugent agent is mandatory for Linux ? or it is because Debian is not supported (no gugent agent) ?

Thank you in advance Smiley Wink

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
trailx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem solved :smileysilly:

The problem is not LVM as I suspected, it's the ID of the network card. On my guest customization, first card => ID= 0 , on my VM (vmx definition) first card => ID = 1 that's why customization failed !!!

I tried with Ubuntu, it's ok, each ID is 0...

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ShibbyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you using the guest customization spec in the blueprint? If not, try that and see if that injects the IP information in the guest OS.

0 Kudos
trailx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi ShibbyB,

Maybe I'm not clear... On windows my customization spec + custom properties work fine.

But on Linux, customization failed, and if I configure only custom properties, nothing is made on VM... That's why I ask if gugent agent is mandatory or not on Linux environnement ?

For information, in logs, I can saw that customization failed because LVM is not supported with my version of VMware tools... But it's not true, I don't use LVM on my VM...

ESXi: 5.1.0 build 799733

vCenter: 5.1.0 build 799733

vCAC: 5.2

0 Kudos
ShibbyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Checking out the following: VMware KB:    Unable to customize a guest operating system after upgrading to vSphere 5.0  looks like Debian guest customization is no longer supported, so vCAC won't be able to get a static IP assigned. Guest agent isn't required for setting a static IP, so this issue falls to the lack of support in vSphere.

trailx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I didn't know this KB, very intresting but not happy to read Debian is not any more supported :smileyangry: (even if it's work fine with vCD)

Otherwise, my problem is not solved, same problem with a Centos 5.5 64bits. VMware tools setup are 9.0.0-782409... Is there a more recent version ?? I think it's not the problem beacause I don't use LVM on my Centos...

vcenter_vmt.png

0 Kudos
trailx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem solved :smileysilly:

The problem is not LVM as I suspected, it's the ID of the network card. On my guest customization, first card => ID= 0 , on my VM (vmx definition) first card => ID = 1 that's why customization failed !!!

I tried with Ubuntu, it's ok, each ID is 0...

0 Kudos
PaulDND
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trailx,

I'm currently trying to get this to work with CentOS6.

Can you post any progress you've had since then...  We are also trying to understand how VCAC is passing information to the Linux host even though Guest Customization files were not used..

At the minimum... all we need is the hostname and network to be set.   Did you use any additional custom properties?

0 Kudos