VMware Cloud Community
van_vannoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Static IP addresses not being set in deployments

We are evaluating vCloud Suite and have connected our VDC's within vCloud Director to vCAC and pulled in a base linux template from within our vCloud catalog.  I have setup a network profile with a IP pool with in vCAC and when I deploy a VM using the template within vCAC it does not set the IP address.  I can see that an address is being assigned to the machine within the network profile IP pool.  When I deploy this same template from within vCloud Director it's IP and host name get asigned fine.  My template has the gugent rpm installed and I ran the installgugent.sh and specified my vCAC server.  I obvoiusly am missing something. Can someone please point me in the right direction to get this working?  Thanks in advance for your help.

VMware vCloud® Automation Center™
Version 5.1.1 Build 56
VMware, Inc.® VMware vCloud Director
ESXi 5.1.0,838463
Van Van Noy VMware vExpert 2009 http://twitter.com/vannovv
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think support for this is in a coming release, there are several vCloud Director component machine management synergies (most operations that work for individual machines that do not work for componentsmachines under for vApp templates) that will be added that were not completed in time for the 5.1.1 release.  Not sure if a comprehensive list is published to the public.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think support for this is in a coming release, there are several vCloud Director component machine management synergies (most operations that work for individual machines that do not work for componentsmachines under for vApp templates) that will be added that were not completed in time for the 5.1.1 release.  Not sure if a comprehensive list is published to the public.

0 Kudos
van_vannoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info.  This is pretty much what I had decided.

Van Van Noy VMware vExpert 2009 http://twitter.com/vannovv
0 Kudos
ahola
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am running into similar issue with 5.2. Wondering how I could go about debugging this issue in the VCAC end.

I am using the CloneWorkflow to instantiate VM (SELS-11-SP2-64) going against vSphere(vCenter). I have a network profile configured and associated with the reservation. The VM gets provisioned and started successfully. However, it is missing the ip address. When I check the network profile, it has an IP address allocated against this same VM that was provisioned. From the web console (log viewer), I see no errors - so wondering what the missing piece is?

Appreciate any pointers to the logs or anywhere else that I should be looking at to see where the failure is.

0 Kudos
ShibbyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you using a guest customization spec? If not, you might try it, set the network to DHCP, vCAC should inject the IP during the cloning process.

ahola
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. After some digging, I realize that either I need to have the gugent or a customization spec created. Do you have any pointers for creating a basic customization spec for SLES? Thanks.

0 Kudos
ahola
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to get this working with the customization spec. However, I'd like to get this working with the gugent.

I installed it, created a template using the same, was able to overcome ssl issue (to do with cert) - the provisioning process goes through the various phases, CloningMachine -> CustomizeOS -> InstallSoftware -> Finalize -> On.

I still don't see the static IP that is allocated to the VM kick in. I see that all of the work items with all the network parameters are passed correctly to the VM (from /usr/share/gugent/GuestAgent.log).

Any ideas/help debugging this? Thanks.

0 Kudos
ShibbyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe the gugent only sets the static IP when you do AutoYAST / KickStart deployments for Linux, otherwise the guest customization specification takes care of it. I could be wrong on this, but this is what I'm remembering.

ahola
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Shibby.

BTW when i go with Customization Spec, I see that the hostname and ip address is updated correctly. However, the Gateway address is not updated. Is there any trace/log of the same? Not sure what to look at to figure out why that is not being done. This is with a RHEL5 (64 bit) OS.

0 Kudos
SunnyMalik007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to fix it:

Step -01 Use DHCP to assign IPs, which will not work for most of us hence moved to step -02.

Step-02 I have used VCAC Orchestrator to create a state change workflow which gets initiated after 'Provisioning' and does the following before the first boot:

1. SQL Query to Get the VM MAC address from vCenter Database
  2. SQL Query to Get the VM IP from Network Pool table assigned to it in VCAC Database
  3. Add the DHCP reservation and Done

Now when the machine boots post provisioning it has the same IP as in Network pool from DHCP Server Smiley Wink

Sunny Malik | SR ARCHITECT - CLOUD SERVICES| Microland Limited Tel: +91 80 3918 0000 | Mob: +91 96 2067 8881 | www.microland.com
0 Kudos
rjahuja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SunnyMalik007 do you mind sharing the workflow ?

0 Kudos