VMware Cloud Community
VirExprt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Split install of vCAC

Hello,

I am doing split install of vCAC server where Web server (Model Manager Web, Data, Portals) are installed on one server and other server should hold vCAC server role (i.e. Manager service) and do not want to install web role there, but while doing Manager service install, at 'vCAC Website configuration' step, it is asking for website name and drop-down is not listing the existing web server website...

Is there something i missed or is it configurational issue?

How can i fix it or find the issue?

Please help!!!

Br,

MG

Regards, MG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zebduin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The vCAC manager service server (App) and the Web Farm (web) both require IIS.  When using SSL, the vCAC manager service listens on port 443. This is important since the management nodes in an HA build are not self-aware and require some logic built into the load balancer in an active/passive config (this will ensure that the vCAC DB will not become corrupt based on two connections to the vCAC db).

When installing the model manager web/portals/reporting, the default website will be listed automatically.  If you do not see any website listed, ensure the default website (or other website if configured for vCAC) is running and WWW service is running.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
christianpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good question!

Didn't really think too much about this during my own split install...just created the IIS config it required.

On my vCAC Management server, the HTTPS binding was configured by the install wiz.

It has plenty of HTTPS connections open, but the IIS has no application or virtual directory associated to it (don't know IIS too well).

The main SOAP URIs seems to be https://my-vcac-mgmt-server:443/VMPS2

BTW: When I shut down the vcac website and application pool on the management server, the SOAP services still respond and the overall platform works just fine.

0 Kudos
VirExprt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

are you suggesting to have IIS installed on server which was planning for Manager server only as SOAP URIs takes care of everything?

Does that mean from design Point-of-View, there will be 2 Web roles installed on different server (participating as failover or redundant mode) and single Manager Service where SOAP URI will take care of request redirection to available Webserver?

is IIS a basic requirement for each server holding roles of vCAC to establish communication?

Is my understand is correct?

Br,

MG

Regards, MG
0 Kudos
christianpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please keep in mind that my answers are only based on my own experiences with a split install.

If my design is correct or not, is entirely up to the audience to decide:

- 2 load-balanced front-ends hosting admin portal/self-service portal web sites + the repository service

- 1 back-end server hosting the ManagerService/DEM-O services

- The DB is hosted on a MSSQL cluster

All machines are VMs covered by HA+DRS

Neither the vCAC 5.2 installation guide nor my own experiences indicates that IIS is required for the ManagerService to respond on SOAP request.

However, the prereq checker will complain if IIS isn't running on the server dedicated to the ManagerService component.

And: The installation wizard does require an IIS site were the HTTPS binding will be configured.

So yes, I see no way around it: the IIS must be installed on the back-end as well...

0 Kudos
VirExprt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I understand and experience count more then which is written in guide... it sometime spin my mind so much I cant withstand it... so it`s absolutely fine with me Smiley Happy

I also realized that only after installing IIS I was able to proceed with the installation of 'Manger Service'....

Thanks

Br,

MG

Regards, MG
0 Kudos
zebduin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The vCAC manager service server (App) and the Web Farm (web) both require IIS.  When using SSL, the vCAC manager service listens on port 443. This is important since the management nodes in an HA build are not self-aware and require some logic built into the load balancer in an active/passive config (this will ensure that the vCAC DB will not become corrupt based on two connections to the vCAC db).

When installing the model manager web/portals/reporting, the default website will be listed automatically.  If you do not see any website listed, ensure the default website (or other website if configured for vCAC) is running and WWW service is running.

0 Kudos