VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Single VM template with multiple catalog entries with different resources sizes?

I want to have 3 Blueprint sizes: 

• Large - 4 vCPU, 8 GB mem, 120 GB disk
  • Medium - 2 vCPU, 4 GB mem, 80 GB disk
  • Small - 1 vCPU, 2 GB mem,  40 GB disk

But I do not want or need 3 different base Windows 2012 templates (pain to maintain)   I want to have 3 unique catalog items that deploy the same vCenter template but with the different resource sizes.   What is the easiest way to do this in vCAC?   I am assuming I need to do this via VCO?

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes. Changing the minimum resources and leaving max resources blank will give you the three flavors you would like. You only need one template in vCenter. Make sure the vCenter template is the same or smaller in resources than your "small" flavor. I do not believe you can set minimum resources lower than that of the template.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Create 3 blueprints using the same template and change the minimum resources. That will give you your 3 flavors. Disk is tricky though. vCAC does not let you resize the OS disk pre or post provision. The only way to add space to each flavor of your template would be to add an additional disk. The blueprints would look like this

Small - 4 vCPU, 8GB mem, 40GB OS, 80GB Data

Medium - 2 vCPU, 4GB mem, 40GB OS, 40GB Data

Large - 1 vCPU, 2GB mem, 40GB OS

abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We are doing this right now with our environment.

We have single template that deploys machines into for different provisioning groups and they all have different blueprints talking to same template at the backend.

That way we just need a single template for different OS(Win2k8, win2k12, win2k12 R2 etc).

As echotome said its not possible to do it with disk. Why not have the same standard OS disk across the environment?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So in vCAC I can use different minimum resources against the same vCenter template?   I don't want to have to make three clones of the vCenter template with different resources,  want one template that vCAC can refer to and modify based on vCAC settings.

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Having a standard OS disk and add separate disk based on Blueprint "size" works for me.  So long as I only have to maintain one vCenter template.

Thanks,

-MattG

0 Kudos
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes. Changing the minimum resources and leaving max resources blank will give you the three flavors you would like. You only need one template in vCenter. Make sure the vCenter template is the same or smaller in resources than your "small" flavor. I do not believe you can set minimum resources lower than that of the template.

0 Kudos