VMware Cloud Community
kswamy
Contributor
Contributor

Reservation Screen

While creating a Reservation within vCAC, we can select Memory, Storage, Network. Why is there not an option to select how many GHz of CPU to be reserved? What is that I am missing?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi kswamy,

Welcome to VMware community.

What are you creating reservation out of? vSphere or vcloud Enterprise group? can you also paste a screenshot where you have the doubt on creating reservation to get a clear picture?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
kswamy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response, appreciate much. I am just learning not creating in real time. But when I see the screen for creating a reservation out of compute resource based on Virtual/vSphere, I don't see an option to specify the CPU quota (either number of vCPU's or GHz). Where do we specify what is the CPU quota like how we specify Memory/Storage as shown below in the screenshot.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm afraid this is not possible., unfortunately Smiley Sad

This has been a feature request in the backlog for sometime, not sure the best way to "vote" up this one...

0 Kudos
kswamy
Contributor
Contributor

OK, how does the system decides how much CPU capacity to reserve for this Reservation based on the available CPU resource in the compute resource?

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can restrict the users with the maximum vcpus and in the blueprint and also depending on your physical capacity you can set machine quota so it's not over provisioned to a level where you will run into performance issues.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Abhilash is correct about the blueprint, but this is per blueprint while the reservation is per provisioning group and is across blueprints.

The short answer, is that there's no place in the UI to enter this value and thus there is no logic that verifies vCPU availability/allocation per provisioning group for virtual reservations.

When actually provisioning on the host there might be some logic happening that an ESX host (or other hypervisor) has an available slot, but as far as I know there's no logic here either and in the case of ESX we check physical free memory availability, and connectivity (not in maintenance mode).

0 Kudos