VMware Cloud Community
DaveFromWales
Contributor
Contributor

Reprovision with software components?

I have some large blueprints with multiple servers.  I would like to be able to reprovision the servers without destroying the blueprint as required but at the moment I am only able to do this by using the scaling functions.

When I actually use the reprovision option the server gets deleted and recloned but none of the software components get executed - it is these that join the server to AD and configure the servers with an ansible bootstrapping script.

Any ideas how to make these run as part of a reprovision or a workaround to help me do this?  The scale in and out option works for some but not the servers that are single instance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hawks76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ran into the same issue.  VMWare support said that was expected behavior.  At the time, they were not able to offer a workaround to get software components to run on a reprovision.  Maybe they will fix this in a future release.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

FYI, software components have never fired during a reprovision operation during the vRA 7.x releases to my knowledge. I have no idea why this design decision was made, but it continues to be one of their biggest mistakes/oversights.

0 Kudos