VMware Cloud Community
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Reorder a property group in vRA 8

I've created and also migrated some fairly large property groups that are mapped to input groups but the ordering is way out of line with what I want to present.  I can't seem to find any way to reorder them.  Is this possible?  Also in the custom form for the service broker it looks like you can only drop in the property group not manipulate individual fields?  That is also a big mess for me and probably means severing those larger groups into smaller groups of some sort or eliminating the input type groups in most cases and just using individual cloud template inputs.  Am I missing something or is this just a limitation of the current version I am using 8.4.2?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can reorder them by editing the CF YAML file or deleting and re-adding them. I wrote a blog post on property groups, and you can find how to edit the YAML at the end of the post (chapter Reordering the Property Group list😞

https://kuklis.github.io/cma/post/vra8-external-inputs-and-input-property-groups/ 

If you want to put then in two columns, you have to put them in separate property groups.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
emacintosh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Not sure if "Display Order" is the same concept you're aksing about, but it looks like it doesn't get migrated and there doesn't seem to be an 8.x mapping for it either?

Property Group Considerations (vmware.com)

Property groups were not made available in 8.x when we migrated from 7.5, so we moved a lot of them to config elements in vRO or inputs in the cloud template or properties on projects.  But we are looking to revisit them soon to see if it makes sense to try to use them again.

qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Display order isn't really exactly the issue.  Create a few and play around with them and you'll see what I mean.  I don't so much care about their order in the property group definition but on the cloud template and catalog item it would be nice to be able to rearrange them.  They are stuck in a static order and I could deal with it in the template but the custom forms don't allow you to decouple them you still have to treat them as this big blob.

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can reorder them by editing the CF YAML file or deleting and re-adding them. I wrote a blog post on property groups, and you can find how to edit the YAML at the end of the post (chapter Reordering the Property Group list😞

https://kuklis.github.io/cma/post/vra8-external-inputs-and-input-property-groups/ 

If you want to put then in two columns, you have to put them in separate property groups.

qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I think this is as close to a correct answer as I can get for now.  Thanks for the pro tip although manually editing the yaml sounds like something that will eventually get overwritten if I'm in the gui making changes.  Just have to reapply I guess.  Hopefully these forums are filtering up to the product teams and some of this is in the roadmap.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos