VMware Cloud Community
Ski473
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Remove Machine from VRA 7.2

Hi , I have a few VM's listed as missing under Managed Machines - Originally these particular VM's didn't build properly and were in progress - however they never proceeded.

I've tried a few things to get rid of them ( and even changing them in SQL to be missing ) but constantly get these types of emails every few hours.  In managed machines I can't directly destroy them either - the option is there but doesn't do anything when clicked.

I should add that the request is a fail message and has the following subject line - but the request ID keeps increasing.

Your Request #99 for "Expire" has failed

Request Information

Resource Action

Expire

Requested by

System User

Request date

12/8/16 7:53 PM (Australian Eastern Standard Time (Victoria))

Description

Resource Lease has expired.

Reason for request

Resource Information

Name

Windows 10-99832872

Type

Deployment

Created On

12/7/16 7:50 PM (Australian Eastern Standard Time (Victoria))

Lease

1 day

Archive Days

I've had a look here and tried doing the cloud connect force unregister - it shows as successful but doesn't actually remove it.

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2144269

The KB mentions another script to remove them but it's not on the KB to download.

To use the stored procedure:

1. Extract the contents of the attached KB2144269_RemoveVMFromVRA7.zip file.
  2. Follow the instructions located in the readme.

Any ideas to force remove them ?

Message was edited by: Ski473

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ski473
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Success....

I went back to revisit the KB again

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21442...

And tried to see why the additional step of logging into postgres and updating the table didn't actually run the way it should have.

As a side note the Readme file for the KB doesn't include the semi colon at the end of the command line ( ; ) - which can throw you if your new to updating stuff in postgres.

This time I used the machine name from the expiry email instead of the actual VM which was listed in VRA.

So for each of the machines which were being listed in the email I did the following :

SELECT * FROM cat_resource WHERE name='Windows 10-99832872';

pastedImage_3.png

Notice the Status is PENDING_APPROVAL

Run the update command as per the KB - I ignored the Tenant bit.

pastedImage_4.png

Updated now to Deleted.

Once I completed that on all machines I can then do a select again and it now shows the six original machines now with a request_id nulled out from previous commands but the status is now set to deleted.

pastedImage_5.png

This status must stop whatever background process for expiry is trying to occur - Once they were changed the emails stopped.

Yippeee !!!!

So perhaps the whole nulling the ID and trying to delete the references were all a bit pointless - following the KB ( with a bit more info ) looks to solve the issue.

Thanks everybody for your input - I hope this post helps other people with similar issues in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
msk05
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can give feedback to the KB for missing script.

Try the below script to delete the machine in missing state under managed machine tab

update [vCAC].[dbo].[VirtualMachine]

set VirtualMachineState = 'Off'

WHERE VirtualMachineName = 'AffectedMachineName'

Note: Take a back up DB before running the query.

0 Kudos
Ski473
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cheers , that changed the status to Off - however in Managed machines when I try click on destroy, it still doesn't remove the VM.  Note these machines didn't actually build so there is no actual VM associated to them.

pastedImage_1.png

Is there a way to remove them now ?  I'll leave some feedback on the KB as well - thanks.

0 Kudos
msk05
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Do you see the machines entries in ITEMS tab and vSphere endpoint? If not you can remove the machines from managed machines tab by using the below query.

DELETE virtualmachine WHERE VirtualMachineName = 'AffectedMachineName'.

Note: Take a back up IAAS DB before running the query.

0 Kudos
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'd try Cloud Client before digging through the DB

http://open902.com/vra7-remove-stuck-or-orphaned-managed-machines/

___ My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com
0 Kudos
Ski473
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi , VMware has now updated the KB and the script to remove the VM's is now present.

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21442...

I've run the script according to the instructions and the machines now do not show under managed machines so they are cleaned up it that respect - the section on postgres cleanup however didn't work as nothing shows when I run the select command.

Run the following commands:

su - postgres

cd /opt/vmware/vpostgres/current/bin

./psql

In psql console run,

\c vcac

SELECT * FROM cat_resource WHERE name='<machine name>' and tenant_id='<tenant name>'

(make sure we see the machine, then, execute)

update cat_resource set status = 'DELETED' where name = '<machine name>’ and tenant_id='<tenant name>'

In any event although it's cleared up from managed machines side I'm still receiving the emails about the expire request failure.   

Upon looking at the actual request I see the following when viewing the details of the Request.

Request initialization failed: Rejecting blueprint request [bb833a6b-63d5-43c0-8ecf-155fb788a46a]. There are other active requests on the corresponding deployment.

Request Information

Resource Action

Expire

Requested by

System User

Request date

1/3/17 11:20 AM (Australian Eastern Standard Time (Victoria))

Description

Reason for request

Resource Information

Name

Windows 10-99832872

Type

Deployment

Created On

12/7/16 7:50 PM (Australian Eastern Standard Time (Victoria))

Lease

1 day

Archive Days

Note the Name of the resource isn't the VM name which we have since cleaned up but rather another name.

Any ideas as to how to target this now ?

Thanks for all your input so far.

0 Kudos
Ski473
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
msk05
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Please use the below command to delete the entries from Items tab

Note: Please take backup/snaphot of vRA VM

Find the request ID of the deployment from cat_resource table

select * from cat_resource where name = 'Deployment name';

select status,request_id from cat_resource where request_id = ‘87ca8990-b9e8-42f5-acc8-03ebb31c719d’;

and

update cat_resource set status = 'DELETED' where request_id = '8fd1078d-5deb-4c6d-8b72-15abb1ba0ef7';

UPDATE cat_resource SET request_id = null WHERE status = ‘DELETED’ AND request_id = ‘e06d1272-382be-06c13d9887fc’;

delete from cat_request where id =’e06d1272-382b-49d1-a3ce-06c13d9887fc’;

0 Kudos
SiteRecoveryMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi ...

I believe the below link resolve the issue..

http://open902.com/vra7-remove-stuck-or-orphaned-managed-machines/

Regards

Basem

0 Kudos
Ski473
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply but I tried that already - the command initially run and said it was successful but didn't actually clean anything up.  I've since managed to remove the actual machines from the managed machines side via the script it the VMware KB - however I'm still receiving emails to say that the expire job has failed.

I tried running it again for good measure but now just get machine not found.

0 Kudos
Ski473
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The VM's don't show up anymore anywhere - I still get the expire message though !

0 Kudos
Ski473
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah , I've tried this as well - however I keep getting circular references that the key is in use in another table.

ERROR:  update or delete on table "cat_requestevent" violates foreign key constraint "cat_requestevent_details__requestevent_id__cat_requestevent__id" on table "cat_requestevent_details"

DETAIL:  Key (id)=(fe1e143d-fbe1-4c60-8502-56283c07eb6f) is still referenced from table "cat_requestevent_details".

I can dig further down and delete them from the lower tables but when I attempt to remove from cat_request I seem to get a different key file each time - very frustrating !

I'll post a more through description later.

The problem ones I believe have been nulled ( and still showing as PENDING_APPROVAL ) by the commands but I can't delete them anymore

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
Ski473
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So this is how it looks when I try to remove it .

SELECT * FROM cat_resource WHERE name='Windows 10-66940198';

The ID then shows as 79a1b805-5ffc-459e-bbc1-feab66fe16b3 - So I try and delete that.

vcac=# delete FROM cat_request where resource_id = '79a1b805-5ffc-459e-bbc1-feab66fe16b3';

ERROR:  update or delete on table "cat_request" violates foreign key constraint "cat_requestevent__request_id__cat_request__id__fkey" on table "cat_requestevent"

DETAIL:  Key (id)=(49411b21-2e55-48a4-aad3-4f11d2e99e67) is still referenced from table "cat_requestevent".

So I check this out.

pastedImage_1.png

So lets delete these :

delete from cat_requestevent where request_id = '49411b21-2e55-48a4-aad3-4f11d2e99e67';

ERROR:  update or delete on table "cat_requestevent" violates foreign key constraint "cat_requestevent_details__requestevent_id__cat_requestevent__id" on table "cat_requestevent_details"

DETAIL:  Key (id)=(96b0b8d0-f774-4f88-a048-9541158922e2) is still referenced from table "cat_requestevent_details".

vcac=# select * from cat_requestevent_details where requestevent_id = '96b0b8d0-f774-4f88-a048-9541158922e2';

requestevent_id            | eventcode | severity | source |                                                                                              systemmessage

|                                                                             usermessage

--------------------------------------+-----------+----------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------

96b0b8d0-f774-4f88-a048-9541158922e2 |           | ERROR    |        | [Error code: 20145 ] - [Error Msg: Request initialization failed: Rejecting blueprint request [9bd303ba-a357-403b-803d-9a0e6fa0b460]. Th

ere are other active requests on the corresponding deployment.]+| Request initialization failed: Rejecting blueprint request [9bd303ba-a357-403b-803d-9a0e6fa0b460]. There are other active requests on the corr

esponding deployment.

So I can see the error message here that corresponds to it - lets delete it.

vcac=# delete from cat_requestevent_details where requestevent_id = '96b0b8d0-f774-4f88-a048-9541158922e2';

DELETE 1

K , lets go back and delete the others

vcac=# delete from cat_requestevent where request_id = '49411b21-2e55-48a4-aad3-4f11d2e99e67';

DELETE 2

vcac=# delete FROM cat_request where resource_id = '79a1b805-5ffc-459e-bbc1-feab66fe16b3';

ERROR:  update or delete on table "cat_request" violates foreign key constraint "cat_requestevent__request_id__cat_request__id__fkey" on table "cat_requestevent"

DETAIL:  Key (id)=(1b8a848e-430f-492d-9d77-705db4e4403d) is still referenced from table "cat_requestevent".

vcac=#

So now it references a completely different key - ARRRGGGG !!

0 Kudos
Ski473
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Success....

I went back to revisit the KB again

And tried to see why the additional step of logging into postgres and updating the table didn't actually run the way it should have.

As a side note the Readme file for the KB doesn't include the semi colon at the end of the command line ( ; ) - which can throw you if your new to updating stuff in postgres.

This time I used the machine name from the expiry email instead of the actual VM which was listed in VRA.

So for each of the machines which were being listed in the email I did the following :

SELECT * FROM cat_resource WHERE name='Windows 10-99832872';

pastedImage_3.png

Notice the Status is PENDING_APPROVAL

Run the update command as per the KB - I ignored the Tenant bit.

pastedImage_4.png

Updated now to Deleted.

Once I completed that on all machines I can then do a select again and it now shows the six original machines now with a request_id nulled out from previous commands but the status is now set to deleted.

pastedImage_5.png

This status must stop whatever background process for expiry is trying to occur - Once they were changed the emails stopped.

Yippeee !!!!

So perhaps the whole nulling the ID and trying to delete the references were all a bit pointless - following the KB ( with a bit more info ) looks to solve the issue.

Thanks everybody for your input - I hope this post helps other people with similar issues in the future.

0 Kudos