VMware Cloud Community
zwal1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Property Layouts, what happened to them and when?

We recently upgraded to vRA 7.5 and I've noticed that I can't seem to access Property Layouts any longer to set the order of properties on the request forms for my blueprints.

Additionally I see that there is a field called "Display Order" when creating a new property in the property dictionary.

So I'm assuming they got whacked. However my Google Fu is failing me and I can't locate any documentation or release notes confirming this. Furthermore there is still a reference to the "VirtualMachine.Request.Layout" property in the vRA 7.5 custom properties reference documentation (https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/7.5/vrealize-automation-75-custom-properties.pdf) that states:

Specifies the property layout to be used in the virtual machine request page. The value must match the name of the layout to be used.

So what's the scoop, are they there and I'm just failing to locate them? Were they removed and the documentation is out of date and the removal was just never mentioned? Anybody have information on this? Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

From what version did you upgrade? From what I remember, Property Layouts were only in the 6.x version. I've never seen them anywhere in 7.x. These have been replaced by the display order per property as you saw.

0 Kudos
zwal1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I remember them most recently in 6.2.4 although it's been awhile since I've given them much thought. Somebody asked me about them today which sent me on this current endevour of tracking down exactly what happened to the little guys.

Do you know why they are still mentioned in the documentation all the way up to 7.5 (I know, why VMware documentation haha) or have any information on when they were removed?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You're the first person to bring those up in years! Honestly, I don't really have an answer as to why they're referenced in the vRA 7.5 custom property guide. Now that we have custom forms (which can be exported, stored, and versioned all as code), and are increasingly moving that direction (and thus away from composite forms), the whole notion of display order is almost obsolete at this point. Its inclusion in the 7.5 docs could just be by oversight. Stranger things have happened Smiley Happy

0 Kudos