VMware Cloud Community
atfrys
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

POD provisioning through VCAC portal

POD = Full configuration of all VM's and other endpoints.

I am embarking on some new configuration requirements which involves creating different types of servers and group each set behind a load-balancer for web traffic.  I have 4 blueprints and one multi-blueprint that make up the virtual environment.  I can and have done this in my sleep using VCO calling VCAC parsing VM properties associating the correct VM's to the proper VIP of the load-balancer.  What I want to do is use VCAC as the portal into VCO without using Advanced Services due to the issue of passing the current credentials and VM owners over to the VCO workflows.  I would like VCAC portal to handle the build and then pass off to VCO for completion. 

My thoughts are to pass stamp the VCAC request ID on all VM's associated as well as the count of systems expected in the POD. I was thinking of having a master VCO workflow that runs every 10 min that looks for incomplete PODs and completes them when all the criteria has been met(Machine is in the On state and all of the VM's count up to the expect pod value.

POD Multi-Blueprint

2x Apache Servers Blueprint 1

1x MySQL server Blueprint 2

2x windows IIS servers Blueprint 3

1x load-balancer VIP

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmmeup
Expert
Expert

You can achieve this OOB using NSX.....  You do not need to have a vCO workflow run every 10 minutes to check.  You can use a Multi-MAchine blueprint and run a workflow that will do the rest of the configuration once the Multi-Machine deployment as a whole is provisioned.  vCAC knows the status of each machine in the MMB  no need to poll to check.

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
0 Kudos
atfrys
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From what I have experienced with VCAC, when you submit a multi-machine request, the machineprovisioned workflow stub I modified to call VCO to complete complex configurations runs in parallel because that is the nature of how VCAC provisions machines.  From what you explained below, I was able to achieve that using VCO to call VCAC, but I want it to be the other way around where VCAC calls VCO with all the machines it provisioned, but like I said earlier VCAC treats each machine request independent regardless of multi-machine or not in the case of the workflow stubs .  Please correct me if I missed something.

Thank you

-Stephen

0 Kudos