VMware Cloud Community
bweck
Contributor
Contributor

On both my ID and vCAC appliances, when I tell it to check for updates, it comes back with "no update is available"

I'm looking to test out the 6.0.1.1 update on each of the Identity and vCAC appliances in my lab. In the VAMI, under the Updates tab, I click on "Check Updates" where it spins for a minute, then comes back with "No update is available". This happens on both appliances. The Settings section shows the repository URL and if I open up either of them in a web browser, they come back with 'File not found."'.

These are the repositories that each one shows:

Identity:https://vapp-updates.vmware.com/vai-catalog/valm/vmw/0292dd19-d751-4d81-adc9-bfd9d66b79f3/2.0.1.0.la...

vCAC: https://vapp-updates.vmware.com/vai-catalog/valm/vmw/dcce55fe-2402-11e2-af10-000c29b4e3e7/6.0.1.0.la...

They both come back with nothing.

The repository zip requires a web server that you already have setup that you can reach with these appliances. That's not something that I have access to right now.

The CD-ROM update is even funnier because neither appliance is setup with a drive. I'm going to have to attempt to copy the ISOs onto each machine and see if it'll let me mount it.

These are appliances, I shouldn't need to do all this extra work to get them updated.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As for the CDROM update, simply add a cdrom to the identity va, and vcac va , (when they are offline)

- go to update tab in vami

- settings

- use CDROM -> Save settings

- attach cdrom to the vCACVA / ID VA

- check for updates.

you should see the updates available.

bweck
Contributor
Contributor

I attempted to mount the ISO internally and the update page didn't see it. I was able to get the CDROM attached and it could see it and I got the appliances updated.

The Identity appliance seemed to work fine. The vCAC host upgraded and I rebooted when it was done, but the vCAC UI never came back. After rebooting it again thinking it may not have started, I logged in to the VAMI and started going through the tabs. There was some interestingness there.

It looks like the upgrade reverted the database connection information back to the default internal information. We use external postgres databases for our vCAC installs so this was really surprising. I re-entered my database information and it reconnected. The license page was also screwed up. The page itself was working fine, but when it tried to scan for the license it would end up failing and give a 404 error. I re-entered the license key and submitted it and it ended up applying it and everything was fine after that.

Strangeness...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Actually, the behavior you are describing of the database reverting to default local configuration, is not odd

the upgrade documentation state you need re-configure the DB settings after you upgrade the VA Smiley Happy

vCloud Automation Center Documentation

0 Kudos
bweck
Contributor
Contributor

But that shouldn't be the case, it should be able to upgrade and preserve your settings. I understand putting it in the release notes, but it shouldn't be this way.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Well, I do agree, but I also have no control on our engineering constraints etc.

In any way, i'm glad you were able to update successfully!

0 Kudos
swkitt
Contributor
Contributor

oKushmaro, we had the same experience. The documentation you're referring to is for upgrade from 6.0 to 6.0.1. There is nothing in the 6.0.1.1 release notes about reconfiguring the database and HA settings when upgrading from 6.0.1 to 6.0.1.1. This is confusing and would be potentially dangerous if VMware had published the Repository URL and the vCAC Appliances were set to automatic update. This is a pretty big miss as far as I'm concerned. My co-worker wrote this up on his blog: http://blog.alanrocks.com/?p=282.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

swkitt, I understand this could cause customers with issues, i'll try surface it the best I can, internally.

As for the release notes for 6.0.1.1 , they state that for upgrading vCloud automation center you should refer to the 6.0 to 6.0.1 documentation, since it is the same process.

What I believe, and this is my personal opinion here, is that engineering had this done in this manner in order to deliver the patch as quickly as possible, rather having QE check all possible upgrade paths while keeping configuration identical to source.

So I do believe there is a trade-off here, and that in order to deliver the fix FAST - this is what had to be done.

0 Kudos
iliketurbos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

actually your document states "You can only upgrade to 6.0.1.1 from 6.0.1 version. Upgrade from any other version to 6.0.1 is not supported"

there is no mention of having to redo anything or to refer to the document, it just says the install is "similar", NOT the same process.

This is a pretty big mess up in the release notes not to state this, as it's going to make several people freak out for bit.

0 Kudos
dimitrovg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The online update https://vapp-updates.vmware.com/vai-catalog/... should work now.

However after the update you will need to:

1. Reboot the ID VA after performing it (there is no message to do this but it is needed for the VA to work properly).

2. Restore the external DB and clustering settings (if any) in the vCAC VA (this is not fixed from 6.0.1 update and the instructions are same).

0 Kudos