VMware Cloud Community
cuongnguyen_92
Contributor
Contributor

Network connectivity issue between VRA and IaaS host

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble with vra installation wizard. In Prerequesite Checker windows ,There is an error displayed: There is a network connectivity issue between this Virtual Appliance and LAPTOP-BNJH7QEC. And when I press Run to execute the prerequesite checker., it just keeps the status Waiting for host to trigger prerequisite check for a long time.

I have already checked the connection between IaaS host and vra host. They can ping to each other. The vra version I installed :VMware-vR-Appliance-7.3.0.536-5610496_OVF10_2

If anyone met this issue before, please guide me how to figure out. And if anyone knows the log file that contains information about this connection, pls give me the path. Thanks in advance

The vra host can discover IaaS host:

pastedImage_3.png

But it takes forever to do the prerequisite checker to IaaS host:

pastedImage_2.png

Tags (1)
17 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Are you really trying to install the IaaS components on a...laptop?

0 Kudos
cuongnguyen_92
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to install IaaS on windows server 2012 before but it's still the same result

This is ping result

pastedImage_1.png

And installation prerequistie. I chose to sync time with the IaaS windows server host

pastedImage_2.png

and stiil got the error

pastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You can't sync time with just any old server (or laptop for that matter), it has to function as an NTP server. In order to install vRA successfully, you need internal time synchronization between all the various components.

0 Kudos
cuongnguyen_92
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks daphnissov. In my previous post, I installed the Management Agent installer and then setup NTP server on Windows server 2012 (IP: 10.20.252.116). Then I sync time between  the vra (IP :10.20.252.115) with the NTP server. The timeoff set is only 11 second, so I think the issue probably doesn't occur from this.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

In order to troubleshoot this further, we need a more complete picture of your environment that would be hosting the vRA infrastructure. Please be as detailed in its description as possible. The failure you're getting at such an early stage indicates there is something fundamental that is not working properly, and it's usually because of underlying or supporting infrastructure.

0 Kudos
cuongnguyen_92
Contributor
Contributor

I deploy VRA virtual machine (version: VMware-vR-Appliance-7.3.0.536-5610496_OVF10_2) and IaaS host (Windows server 2012 R2 virtual machine) on host ESXi 6.0 .The host machine information is in below:

System:

- IBM x3650 M3

- BIOS version: D6E149AUS-1.09

Processor:

- Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67Ghz

VRA VM IP address: 10.20.252.115

IaaS host IP address: 10.20.252.116

Both 2 IPs can ping each other

When I power on the VRA VM , I got a warning in the picture below, but I'm no right to access to the ESXi host to modify this configure option

pastedImage_3.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Did you deploy the vRA appliance through vCenter? Do you have vCenter? How many hosts? Are you running this in a nested environment? There are lots more details you didn't include here.

0 Kudos
cuongnguyen_92
Contributor
Contributor

Hi daphnissov,

I deployed vra appliance on vCenter 6.0 (access via vsphere client 6). There is a cluster with 2 physical ESXi hosts (IP: 10.20.252.172 and 10.20.252.173)

Both VRA appliance (IP:10.20.252.115) and IaaS windows server component (10.20.252.116) are installed on host 10.20.252.173 (it's not nested environment )

Both VRA and IaaS VM are stored in the same datastore , use the same Adapter Type and  VLAN in network connection.

The virtual machine version is 10

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Which VM are you displaying in the last screenshot, the one which is 4 x 4? Is that the vRA appliance or the Windows IaaS host?

0 Kudos
cuongnguyen_92
Contributor
Contributor

It's the Windows IaaS host

And the screenshot below is vra appliance's information

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you're still getting a failure, can you re-deploy the vRA appliance and screenshot the last step when you input the required values? Also, screenshot the wizard screens, especially where the agents check-in.

cuongnguyen_92
Contributor
Contributor

Hi daphnissov,

I still get trouble with this after re-deploy VRA. This is the screenshot of last step installation (I dont fill in the DNS value because I dont have domain name server to resolve VRA IP )

pastedImage_0.png

the  VRA IP 10.20.252.115 is duplicated with another IP in system so I changed it to 10.20.252.122

pastedImage_1.png

And this is the configuration on agent host (IP :10.20.252.120)

pastedImage_4.png

and it's completely finished

pastedImage_7.png

pastedImage_8.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you don't have functional DNS, none of this is going to work. You must have DNS resolving both forward and reverse records to use vRA.

sarikrizvi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issue :- Network connectivity issue in between vRA and IaaS server

Troubleshooting Steps #

1.  Redeploy vRA appliance through OVA from vCenter and it will pick IP, dns, other config automatically.
2.  Test Ping vRA = IaaS server and Run nslookup host-name
3.  Use service account for installation of management agent which have "local administrator" access on windows server .

4. "Time Offset" should show 0 in config wizard and if it's showing something bigger number then it would be problem .

Use above three steps and issue will get resolved

Regards,
SARIK (Infrastructure Architect)
vExpert 2018-2020 | vExpert - Pro | NSX | Security
vCAP-DCD 6.5 | vCP-DCV 5.0 | 5.5 | 6.0 | vCA-DCV 5 | vCA-Cloud 5 | RHCSA & RHCE 6 | A+ (HW & NW)
Blog# https://vmwarevtech.com
vExpert# https://vexpert.vmware.com/directory/1997
Badge# https://www.youracclaim.com/users/sarik
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

These are extremely generic steps (did you even read this thread?) and are not guaranteed to resolve anything. There are far more troubleshooting steps to be performed with more complexity than just four things.

0 Kudos
sarikrizvi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I applied those steps and issue get resolved at my end, just give an try and let's see

Regards,
SARIK (Infrastructure Architect)
vExpert 2018-2020 | vExpert - Pro | NSX | Security
vCAP-DCD 6.5 | vCP-DCV 5.0 | 5.5 | 6.0 | vCA-DCV 5 | vCA-Cloud 5 | RHCSA & RHCE 6 | A+ (HW & NW)
Blog# https://vmwarevtech.com
vExpert# https://vexpert.vmware.com/directory/1997
Badge# https://www.youracclaim.com/users/sarik
0 Kudos
lane1bc
Contributor
Contributor

DNS is what I am guessing too.

VA and IaaS components should have the exact:

1. primary/secondary dns server

2. search domains -- order is critical too -- I've experienced connectivity issues when search domain order on the IaaS components is different than the vRA VA configuration. The first search domain must be the same on all components.

Bobby Lane
0 Kudos