VMware Cloud Community
letoatrads
Expert
Expert

Multiple machines provisioning within multiple clusters

I'm looking for some direction where to look to create a blueprint that allows for multiples of said machines to provisioned at once. I've noted the multi-machine blueprint option for farm creation, but I'm trying to do something a little different than a static blueprint with X number of machines.

I've noted a few walk through's where catalog items have the "# machines" option at the top allowing the requesting party to input 1 - X number of machines. That is my first issue, I can't seem to find that location.

The second problem is a little trickier. Once I have that option, I would like to be able to discreetly assign the various machines to a cluster ( and network depending on which cluster they choose). So, for example. I request a CentOS 6 machine type, and choose 4 for the machine count. I would like to then be able to assign Machine 1 to Cluster A , Network A , Machine 2 to Cluster B , Network B, etc.

Thanks in advance for the advice on where to look!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

"Maximum per user" is the field that determines the machine count.

pastedImage_0.png

For the second part, that's an interesting idea, but probably needs an ASD workflow. I looked at using a MMBP where each component VM provisions to a different cluster, but the minimum number of machines you can provision is 1, not 0 so that's not feasible.

Can you explain what the use case/end state is as there may be other ways to achieve what you're trying to do.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
letoatrads
Expert
Expert

The use case for the second scenario is our ESX farm is segregated into multiple distinct clusters due to our network infrastructure. We typically have 4 clusters per life cycle. For example, if I want to deploy a web farm of 4 or 8 virtual machines - in order to load balance them I'll need to drop 1 or 2 in each cluster.

Our current blueprint setup of 1 machine and choosing the network works fine for a single VM deployment. The goal would be an end user request multiple VM's and them being able to choose the cluster they land on in order to properly balance them for high availability, etc.

0 Kudos