VMware Cloud Community
jpboyce
Contributor
Contributor

Multi-machine blueprint with a domain controller - best method?

Hi all,

I hope I'm asking this in the right area.  I'm putting together a demo/proof of concept for using vCAC.  One of the things I want to use as a demo is a self contained environment for developers, which would include a number of services such as a MSSQL server and a domain controller.  I'm thinking there's a few ways I could do the DC component such as:

* Fully configure a domain controller VM and then convert to template

* Provision the DC VM off a standard template and run a post-provisioning script/action to perform the DC promotion tasks (possibly with an unattended file).

* Provision the DC VM via SCCM (using the SCCM integration in vCAC).

Has anyone ever done anything like this or have any suggestions on the best approach?  Thanks.

4 Replies
Jeremy_VE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does nobody have an idea how to do this?  I've been wracking my brain on how to do this with VCAC as well as with Application Director.  I guess I'm struggling with the basics of how to use either one right now.

0 Kudos
AntLeguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, I used your 2nd option to provision a full lab through vCAC.

As you suggested, I used an attended file and run a post-provisionned script on my VM to run dcpromo with that file.

With any ideas you may have, the other 2 could a solution, you'll have to struggle with vCO workflows.

Hoped it helped with your idea.

0 Kudos
michaelcprice
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a need to do something similar. Could you please post or attach a copy of the scripts you used for provisioning your lab?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I would recommend going with building a WIMImage with an autounattend.xml to run dcpromo with the appropriate configurations. Then use vCO to run post provisioning vCO workflows to run scripts on the other VMs to tie it into the DC that was newly built. Also, make sure you have appropriate timers in the workflows, or it will timeout and fail to deploy. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos