VMware Cloud Community
tsmori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Missing endpoints in version 6.0

I was going to attempt to add an openstack endpoint, but the only things listed in the add endpoint drop-down menu is cloud > vcd and virtual > vsphere. My account should have all the necessary privileges, so I'm not sure if there's something I need to do first. Anyone else missing all the endpoint options or know what you have to do to enable them?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ransalman
Contributor
Contributor

Did you install the license both in the appliance configuration (https://appliance-name-or-ip:5480) and in the portal itself (Infrastructure->Administration->Licensing)... Also - Check for your user is an Infrastructure Administrator in the Tenant Configuration although it sounds like you have it already.

I would start with the license if it's missing add it and completely logoff and login and check for the endpoint again.

Ran

0 Kudos
tsmori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I refreshed the license in both locations and restarted the vCAC appliance, but that still didn't help. I don't think I'm missing anything obvious, so I might have to put in a ticket. It is weird though because it's showing up this way in both my development and production instances. I don't recall having to do anything special with previous versions.

0 Kudos
Seanpeters
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here, i would like to know what is said when you have an answer.

0 Kudos
tsmori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Early response is that this is indeed a licensing issue. Now, I could understand this if you have licensed vCAC separately. I'm sure there's a menu of what you want with your purchase and I'm sure you wouldn't want to pay extra for features you won't use, however I had thought that with vCloud Enterprise licenses one would get everything. This may or may not be true. I'm waiting to hear back.

0 Kudos
jgriffi
Contributor
Contributor

hi tsmori, did you ever receive confirmation that this was a license issue?

0 Kudos
tsmori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep. If you use vCloud Enterprise licensing, you only have endpoints for vCenter. You're also supposed to have one for Orchestrator, but if it's not showing, that's apparently a bug that will be addressed in the next release. But the third-party endpoints you have to license separately. I believe you have to buy a minimum 25-vm license pack for external endpoints and then you can run those VMs where ever you like. At least they're not licensing them individually. Still, I think it's close to $800/VM, so if you're like us and thought that maybe you could just spin up some spare equipment, throw KVM or OpenStack on them and use them for burst capacity or scale out, VMware is way ahead of you.

The way they see it is what would prevent someone from buying one vCloud Enterprise license and run all their stuff on KVM. Cynical maybe, but it's not a bad point.

0 Kudos