VMware Cloud Community
gbeke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrating managed users to new vRA installation

Hi,

We use vRA to manage a subset of users in AD. We are in the process of moving to a new vRA installation. Is it in any way possible to move the managed users so they can be managed in the new vRA installation?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

GB

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Hi

yes you can migrate managed VM's to another VRA , please check below document :

Migrate a Virtual Machine to a Different vRealize Automation Environment

Please mark this ad correct answer .

0 Kudos
gbeke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi and thank for the reply.

Yes, I know it is possible to migrate managed VM´s to a another vRA, but I´m talking about managed users. Some users are allowed to create service accounts in AD and manage them (change password, delete,disable/enable etc) using vRA. I´m hoping there is a way to migrate the managed users to another vRA.

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

This is the only procedure that I could see on migration about users or account

Go to page : 34 

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/7.4/vrealize-automation-74-migrating.pdf

0 Kudos
gbeke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for taking time trying to help me. I´m not sure it does what I want, but I will take a closer look at it.

0 Kudos
gbeke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have managed to find which tables (cat_request, cat_resource and cat_resource_owners) in the vcac database that contains information about the resource and have successfully managed to get the user account listed under My items on the Home tab, but when clicking on Items I get this. When I click on the user account under My Items i get the same result.

pastedImage_0.png

So either there are more information in the mentioned tables that need to be changed or there are other tables that needs to be updated. I'm hoping that someone (maybe even an VMware engineer) with knowledge of the VCAC database can help me get this working, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

GB

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I think what you're doing (or have done?) is unsupported and you may have broken this new vRA installation. My recommendation at this point is to open a SR.

0 Kudos
gbeke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I'm fully aware what I'm doing is not supported. I guess I should have mentioned that by removing the connection between resource and owner everything works as normal again.

I've tested some more and have been somewhat successful in getting the user to appear in the items list but I'm still unable to do day 2 operations on the user. When select view details of the user, there are no details showing.

Comparing the table cat_resource from vRA 6 to vRA 7 shows that vRA 7 has some new fields, most of them is blank but Requestbindingid has a value. So far I've just added the record with this field blank. This may for all I know be the reason it is not working, but I've so far been able to find what this field is used for and if it is referenced any place else. Anybody now what Requestbindingid is used for?

0 Kudos