VMware Cloud Community
TimDScott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Managed Machines - Can't see them in vRA

Since upgrading from 7.5 - 7.6 we've noticed that managed machines are no longer visible:

pastedImage_0.png

If we give a user fabric group admin rights we can get it to show, but then they see all machines from all business groups.

I'm guessing it's a setting somewhere, but what needs to be done so when a "standard" user logs in they can look at only their own/business groups managed machines?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedrummond
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The deployments tab (prior to vRA 7.5 there were separate tabs for Deployments/Machines but that was a hangover of vRA 6) is ​the​ inventory for users of their machines. Users should not think of individual machines but of deployments which consists of one or more machines (or custom resources). While the view in 7.6 is not great you ​can​ filter by machine name which will show the deployment it belongs to.

You can​not ​Dismiss​ an active deployment, only failed requests or requests that do not return an inventory object (standard XaaS). The user can run the ​Destroy​ action from this screen, but they could also do that from the ​Managed Machines​ tab which is far worse (destroys the IaaS component and not the composite blueprint components).

Standard Users are absolutely supposed to log into vRA, if they didn't there's no real point in using a CMP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
stevedrummond
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Why are they needing to view it from an IaaS perspective (the infrastructure tab)? It should only be for administrators for certain support issues.

Since they are part of a business group(s) they can see all machines they own; if they are a Support User they can see all the machines anyone owns in their business group(s).

0 Kudos
TimDScott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So if the infrastructure tab should only be for admins, how does a standard user view their machines? The only way I can see is through the deployments area, but this doesn't feel right, especially as they could dismiss a record from the list and therefore never see their managed machine again in vRA. Or perhaps it's not the done thing to allow standard users into vRA?

Sorry if I'm asking some silly questions, I've spent most of my time in vRO, vRA is quite new to me!

0 Kudos
stevedrummond
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The deployments tab (prior to vRA 7.5 there were separate tabs for Deployments/Machines but that was a hangover of vRA 6) is ​the​ inventory for users of their machines. Users should not think of individual machines but of deployments which consists of one or more machines (or custom resources). While the view in 7.6 is not great you ​can​ filter by machine name which will show the deployment it belongs to.

You can​not ​Dismiss​ an active deployment, only failed requests or requests that do not return an inventory object (standard XaaS). The user can run the ​Destroy​ action from this screen, but they could also do that from the ​Managed Machines​ tab which is far worse (destroys the IaaS component and not the composite blueprint components).

Standard Users are absolutely supposed to log into vRA, if they didn't there's no real point in using a CMP.

0 Kudos
TimDScott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks stevedrummond​ all clear now!

0 Kudos