VMware Cloud Community
Paragbhardwaj19
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Issue with Event Subscriptions and Software components

Hi,

I am stuck issue in my new VRA 7.2 with Event Subscriptions. I have create custom T-shirt sizing for VM provisioning. this sizing is set as small,medium and large. once we select the size there should be VRO workflow trigger and this will change the VM resource, folder and resource pool. VRO workflow is trigger powershell script and complete the process. i have checked and this workflow runs with out any issue. In same catalog i have   Software component to create the user on VM with Sudo access.

I have set the event subscription work on Machine provisioning as below

1.JPG

Now issue is that when i trigger for build it runs the workflow after the VM provision. but stuck on software component " it is saying the task is waiting and after some time it get the terminated

2.JPG

3.JPG

Below is the VRO workflow result.

4.JPG

I want to know if any way that i can run the event  Subscriptions after the  Software components. once the  Software components has been completed and then event subscription will start and complete the resource change.

If i unpublished the event subscriptions it works fine. but my T-shirt sizing

Thanks

Parag

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think there's a state that gets you further along that what you have now. One workaround you might try is to begin your vRO workflow with a long sleep statement which will allow enough time for your software components to run. Alternatively, instead of using software components for operations which are fairly simple, you could have the guest agent run a script. Check the custom properties for reference material on that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are using a vRA Enterprise license here, correct? And you have the software bootstrap agent installed on this RHEL template, yes? It looks like you have an issue with your software blueprint running correctly. This really has nothing to do with your event subscription, so to make matters simpler, create a simple blueprint with this/these software component(s) and deploy it from the catalog. Add the custom property _debug_deployment to your machine or deployment element on the canvas to prevent vRA from destroying it upon failure. Check the guest agent logs to see where the failure occurred. It also helps in the debugging process to add "echo" statements in your script to know where things begin to fail.

0 Kudos
Paragbhardwaj19
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are using a vRA Enterprise license here, correct

yes VMware vRealize Suite 7 Enterprise

I have tried to run the job without event subscription  and it run fine with same software components. I have check Guest log and Gugent logs and there is no error. Only issue if i published event subscription it will get failed.

5.JPG

Guest Logs

6.JPG

gugent Logs

pastedImage_4.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok. I'm a little confused how you have this system put together. Your RHEL blueprint has to have these software components inside of them. And you've said it succeeds if you take EBS out of the picture. Where does vRO come into play here, again?

0 Kudos
Paragbhardwaj19
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VRO comes in picture when i need to select the T-Shirt sizing.

pastedImage_0.png

Once i select the size it run Event Subscription based on provision complete event. 

pastedImage_1.png

Issue is that if my event subscription is success fully complete but it stuck on software components. 

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is the exact name of the lifecycle state name in the first clause of your EBS subscription?

0 Kudos
Paragbhardwaj19
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried below life cycle state.

pastedImage_0.png

Do we have any way if my workflow run after the Deployment done, Like after deployment activate.

Thanks

Parag

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You probably need to be using the MachineProvisioned state.

0 Kudos
Paragbhardwaj19
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tried provisioned already but no luck.

Thanks

parag

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are no incompatibility concerns in combining software components with that phase state or name. I suspect your failure is due to the manipulations you're doing on the provisioned machine where it's causing callbacks to fail thus timing out in sending the software component down as a work item.

What do your software components consist of (be specific if you can)? Because there may be a workaround if you have to keep using the manual t-shirt sizing workflow you have established.

BTW, are you aware that vRA 7.3 has t-shirt sizing built-in to the product? No custom vRO workflows needed. Would probably simplify what you're trying to do and eliminate custom code.

0 Kudos
Paragbhardwaj19
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

7.3 is new and my client is not ready for 7.3. we have done POC on 7.2 only.

Software components is just create a user on new server with Sudo access. Username and password is in request form so that requester can create his desired ID and password.

pastedImage_0.png

However i have tried with other simple components but have a same result.

What should be the parameter on Event Subscriptions if i want to run after the deployment activate,

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're probably seeing failures because your vRO workflow is interrupting the communication between the VM and vRA. That's a guess, but I'm not seeing failures when I use a software component and create an event subscription like what you have.

0 Kudos
Paragbhardwaj19
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes Might be you are right, That is the reason i want to run my event subscription after the software components. I tried to run after the Deployment complete but my workflow does not trigger,

Any clue what parameter i need use for Deployment complete.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think there's a state that gets you further along that what you have now. One workaround you might try is to begin your vRO workflow with a long sleep statement which will allow enough time for your software components to run. Alternatively, instead of using software components for operations which are fairly simple, you could have the guest agent run a script. Check the custom properties for reference material on that.

0 Kudos
Paragbhardwaj19
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Increase Sleep time in script resolve the issue. Thanks for the clue.