VMware Cloud Community
vprofile
Contributor
Contributor

Issue getting IPAddress for Deployed VM in VCAC 6.1

I am testing Trial version for VCAC 6.1 in Lab,

I have followed VMware documentation up to the point with lot of online help, but my Deployed VM despite of all the below properties set right cannot able to assign IP from External Network Profile. Any help?

Sysprep.GuiUnattended.AdminPassword xxxxxxx

Sysprep.GuiUnattended.AutoLogon Yes No No

Sysprep.GuiUnattended.AutoLogonCount 1 No No

Sysprep.GuiUnattended.TimeZone Eastern Standard Time No No

Sysprep.UserData.OrgName xyz abc No No

Sysprep.UserData.ProductKey xxxxxxxx No No

VirtualMachine.Admin.AddOwnerToAdmins True No No

VirtualMachine.Network0.Gateway xx.xx.xx.xx No No

VirtualMachine.Network0.Name VM Network No No

VirtualMachine.Network0.NetworkProfileName ExternalIP No No

VirtualMachine.Network0.PrimaryDns xx.xx.xx.xx No No

VirtualMachine.Network0.SubnetMask xx.xx.xx.xx No No

Thanks,

V

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For external network profile you mean a profile you have set up within vcac making a IP pool available to it right?  If that is true then all you need to use is the VirtualMachine.Network0.NetworkProfileName for the network profile that is associated with that network name.  If you already have the stuff like default gateway, DNS servers, and subnet mask setup in the profile you don't need to enter it again.

As an example

I have vlan 47 and a network profile associated with it of 47 IP Pool then I would enter 47 IP Pool as the value for  VirtualMachine.Network0.NetworkProfileName.  I would not use the VirtualMachine.Network0.Name as that will not work, and as I said if you already have all the options setup in the network profile don't worry about including gateway and all of that other stuff.  If you want to you can but I would not.

If you just use the VirtualMachine.Network0.NetworkProfileName it assigns it to the right port group and assigns an IP from the correct pool

0 Kudos
vprofile
Contributor
Contributor

Hello GMCON,

Thanks for your reply, I have found the issue related to Guest Customization in vSphere. Now I am facing very different I have selected following in Guest Customization Option in Vsphere...

"Use Standard Network settings......"

Everything seems to be working fine with your suggested changes...VM is getting IP which is assigned from VCAC IPM. Although when I open VM and check Adapter settings.... I still cannot able to see the Static IP assignment.

Is it something I am missing?

Thanks,

V

0 Kudos
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What OS is it?  Also for your guest customization you entered that exactly on the build information tab of the blueprint to run that customization?  Also do you mean that in vCAC it shows an IP assigned but not on the VM?  Can you ping the IP?

0 Kudos
vprofile
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

What OS is it?  : Windows Server 2008 R2

Also for your guest customization you entered that exactly on the build information tab of the blueprint to run that customization? : Actually I have created Build Profile which has SysPrep + VirtualMachine.Network0.NetworkProfileName + VMware.VirtualCenter.OperatingSystem Custom properties enabled

Also do you mean that in vCAC it shows an IP assigned but not on the VM? : What I mean is IP assignment is taken place from DHCP, what I really wanted to do was to assign static IP which can be seen on IP4 Adapter settings in VM

Can you ping the IP?: Yes, and I can RDP as well.

Thanks again,

V

0 Kudos
vprofile
Contributor
Contributor

Hello GMCON,

Attached is the screen shot of what is  happening in OS. It shows network adapter get IP, but static IP is not assigned yet. Not sure what is done wrong.

I have done following based on your suggestions:

1) Only assigned VirtualMachine.Network0.NetworkProfileName property in build profile

2) Define all the values in Build profile for DNS, Gateway, Secondary DNS

3) Select Standard network assignment in Guest Customization in vSphere.

4) Disable DHCP service from Template in VM

Thanks,

V

0 Kudos
Jeremy_VE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm assuming that you are using a regular vSphere Blueprint and not a multi-machine blueprint, is that correct?

If so, then you need to make sure that

1. You have a Customization Specification created within vCenter that includes the default network configuration settings (aka DHCP is enabled)

2. You have an "External" network profile configured with the appropriate IP range and DNS, default gateway, WINS, etc... settings for the virtual machines that will connect to this network profile. 

3. This network profile needs to be linked to the appropriate vSphere dvPortGroup on the vCAC reservation where the VMs will be deployed.

4. You specify the name of the network profile on the blueprint in the custom properties: VirtualMachine.Admin.NetworkX.ProfileName (where X is the adapter number).

The easiest way to customize guest OS's with vCAC custom properties is to use a vSphere Customization Specification.  The nice part about using custom specs is that you are able to override settings specified in the customization spec with vCAC Custom Properties.  Anything not overridden with a vCAC blueprint Custom Property is set by the customization spec.

In regards to the network settings, the type of network configuration within the guest OS depends upon the type of network profile applied.  If provisioning VMs using a regular blueprint (non-Multi-Machine blueprint) that is configured with a custom property to specify an "External" network profile, the only type of IP address that can be configured within the deployed VM is a static IP address.  If you want to use a DHCP server (not DHCP via vCAC network profiles), then you configure that setting within the customization spec and don't override it with a custom property.  If you want to use a DHCP address management using vCAC network profiles, then you have to deploy VMs from a vCAC multi-machine blueprint as this is the only type of blueprint to which you can attach NAT network profiles which are the only type of network profiles on which you can enable vCAC DHCP services.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy

0 Kudos